Chapter Ten: The Saviors

The story of Wendy and Howie's kidnapping and miraculous return spread like wild fire. After three days, it was as if every street child in the Free Territory had heard of it, with Wendy and Howie becoming instant celebrities.

Wendy and Howie were positive they had been rescued. 'While we were in the black car, we're sure there was a commotion before we heard one of those men screaming,' Wendy had said. Slink, however, put the idea into their heads that the two men may have just changed their minds, switched cars and returned them. Wendy and Howie were not convinced by that one bit. Owning to this, rumors spread that Spring Heights had got its own heroes. And street children had started to call them the 'Saviors'.

Matthew had heard Wendy and Howie's story from street children so many times in the days after the incident he lost count. In one day, Aldo told him the story three times, each one slightly different, the last having Wendy spotting a woman wearing a red cape. Matthew really enjoyed listening to the stories. It wasn't because he was one of the Saviours but how happy everyone became when telling it.

Reality did set in for him one morning while he lay in his hammock. What he and the others had done, rescuing street children from Spring Heights, was something that may not happen again. This made him feel quite down.

But there was no time for Matthew to dwell in his hammock for long. There was work to do. He, along with the others, needed to prepare for the huge party they were going to have to celebrate Wendy and Howie's rescue.The Harrower had its own celebration for the return of Wendy and Howie, but many in the Free Territory wanted one too. 'What happened to Wendy and Howie is a cause for a party,' everyone was saying. Being Chancellor of the Free Territory, it was up to Norman to sort it all out.

'Out of your beds, all of you,' shouted a groggy Chloe. She was ringing a cow bell

Yawning, John swung his feet over his hammock and complained, 'Why so early? And why do we have to help Norman? He's the Chancellor, not us.'

'Because we help each other out, that's why,' answered Jennifer.

Matthew had already climbed out of bed and was stuffing the stove with newspaper and wood when he asked, 'Where are we going to have the celebration?'

Norman threw a box of matches over to Matthew. 'Usually, events, parties, whatever are held in this old unused tramcar that sits near the rail yard, because not a lot of people show up to them –'

'That's because your events aren't very good,' John cried out. 'That party you threw to celebrate Slink winning the cart race was so boring.'

'As I was trying to say,' said Norman, 'events are usually held in a tramcar. But because a lot of people are sure to show up to celebrate Wendy and Howie, the only place is the top of Maple Hill.'

Matthew and Slink exchanged a look as John moaned.

'What's wrong with that?' snapped Norman. 'I think it's a great idea of mine.'

'I do too,' said Chloe and Jennifer together, filling pots with water.

'It's just,' said John, 'it's just that we'll have to carry the tables from the tramcar all the way to Maple Hill Park and then all the way up the hill.'

'That's what you're moaning about?' said Norman. 'Scared of a bit of carrying?'

'A bit of carrying?' said John. 'That's a long way.'

'What, you don't think Wendy and Howie deserve it after what they went through?' Norman said to John. 'You don't think the street children of the Free Territory deserve a bit of happiness? A bit of fun? Carrying tables is not asking much, is it?'