OUFL: 2

T H I R D Y

Few weeks later, Dani asked me to go with her to watch a game. Of course, my dad wouldn't allow her without a companion so I had no choice. We were on the way when I asked her where the game would be held.

"Assumption, kuya."

"Sinong kalaban?" I was busy playing a game on my phone.

"Poveda, kuya."

I looked up and saw Dani smiling at me. Damn. This sneaky kid got me.

We watched the game, Poveda won again and she's player of the game. She's really good. I can't help to look at her every chance I got. Once or twice we held eye contact. She's probably thinking I'm weird, a stalker or something.

"Kuya!!" I didn't notice Dani was not beside me. She was on the court. I ran to her side and smiled awkwardly at the person in front of me.

"Ate Bea, meet my brother Thirdy. Kuya, ate Bea."

"Thirdy." I offered a handshake.

She accepted. "Bea."

"Congrats on your win. You were great." I tried to say it as casually as possible. But it sounded stiff.

She just smiled, and said thanks.

The next few games, I would always make sure to join my mom when watching. Besides the fact that I also love the sport, I was really interested to know her more. I know she sees me in the crowd a lot of times. She nods her head, then I nod mine. Or vice-versa. Just acknowledging each other. We had few conversations. Like "Where's Dani? Thanks for watching." from her, or "Congrats! Great game." from me. That's it.

One night, I finally got the courage to ask for her number because I have the perfect excuse. Dani's birthday is coming up on Saturday.

"Bro, I need a favor."

"Hey thirds, what's up?"

"Can I get Bea's number? Dani's birthday is coming up and we're planning to surprise her. I heard Bea and Dani are pretty close so I was planning to invite her."

"Ohhhh!!! Galing mo talaga. Making up reasons, bro?"

"Siraulo. Totoo nga!! Pakita ko pa sayo birth certificate eh."

"Sige. Send mo muna. Hahahaha."

"Gago! Totoo nga!"

"O sige na. Send ko na. Ingatan mo 'to ha."

"Thanks, dude. I owe you one."

Okay. Here goes nothing.

.

.

.

.

T: Hi Bea.

B: Hi. Who's this? :)

T: Thirdy. Thirdy Ravena. Can I call? :)

B: Oh hi thirdy, sure!

.

.

.

I took a deep breath and pushed the call button. After a few rings, she picked up.

"Hi Bea! Sorry, it was a sudden call. I asked for your phone number from Van. I hope you don't mind."

"No, not at all. Wala yun. Van mentioned din you guys are friends pala. Small world."

"Yeah, yeah. Anyways, I wanted to invite you sana... I mean, my parents wanted to invite you on Dani's birthday. It will be a surprise party. I'm sure she will be happy to see you."

"Oh, Dani's bday is coming up pala. Okay, sure. I'll just make paalam to my dad. I'll be there. When is it?"

"Oh. Okay. It's on Saturday at our house. 3pm."

"Okay, cool. See you!"

That went well, he smiled as he held his phone.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Everything is going well so far. Guests are arriving. Dani is with Manong buying new shoes as a gift, all part of the plan.

"Hi, Bea. I'm just waiting outside our house. You might get lost around the area." Message sent.

We actually exchanged few text messages the past few days. She was asking what gift to buy for Dani.

I was waiting outside when a car arrived. I caught myself staring at her because it's not everyday you see Bea De Leon not wearing a jersey.

"Hi, thanks for coming. Tara na sa loob?" I led her to the living room. There were few people in the room. Some are family and closest friends lang.

"Bea! I'm glad you're here." I saw that mom was thrilled to see her because she hugged her tight.

"Yes, tita. I thought you guys knew I was--"

I cut her off by asking. "You know her, mom?"

Whoa. That was close.

"Yes, anak. She goes here sometimes with Dani. And do you remember your Tito Elmer and Tita Det? Her parents." Bea just smiled while my mom was explaining.

De Leon. Damn. That's why it's familiar. "Ganon po ba. I didn't know. Pero bakit hindi kita nakikita dito sa house?" I directed the question to Bea.

"Oh. I think twice pa lang ako nakakapunta dito eh. Not often. I only see Manong whenever I'm here. But Dani mentions you."

***1 message received***

Tiningnan ko yung phone ko, nagtext na si Manong. "Ma, parating na daw. Ready na daw po tayo."

The lights were turned off. Everyone was waiting, and there was total silence. We were hiding behind the couch, sitting at the floor.

"Tita Mozzy told me we are batch mates pala." Bea whispered, breaking the ice.

"Yes! I'm also an athlete but off season for me now so I have a lot of time." Thirdy answered.

"Oh, right. That's why you watch the games, like you literally never miss one. Ang dami mong time." She chuckled.

"Let's just say I found a newfound appreciation for the sport." He smiled.

Then the door finally opened, lights were turned on, and everybody shouted "HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANI!!"

Then I looked at her, she was smiling brightly while clapping her hands singing happy birthday. As expected, Dani was so happy to see Bea in the party. Bea was like the sister she never had. The party ended around 11pm.

.

.

.

T: Please text me when you get home. Thanks for coming btw! :)

After 20 minutes... she texted back.

B: I just got home. Thanks for keeping me company the whole night! I appreciate it. It was def my pleasure to be there.

T: No worries, I enjoyed your company anyways. Let's hang out soon!

B: sure, let me know when! :)

T: I should ask you when you're free bec I'm not that busy. Haha.

When's your next game?

B: We're playing against St. Scho on tuesday.

T: Are you free after the game? I'm watching on tuesday hehe

B: Yes! Is it just us?

T: Hmm. Yes. Do you mind?

B: I actually don't. Okay, see you!

T: Cool! Good night, bea :)

B: Good night, thirdy.