Chapter 4

Ricky's POV:

"Nini?"

"Hi." She said nervously smiling at me.

What was she doing at my house? At this time. After earlier today.

"H-hi! Um w-what are you doing here?" I stuttered. I was so confused.

"Let me explain. Can I come in?" She asked awkwardly.

Was this a trick? Was I supposed to say no? What about my parents?

"Uh, sure- sure ya come on in." I said gesturing for her to come inside. She hesitated before stepping inside and walking past me. "Hey Big Red!" She waved at him as he awkwardly nodded and smiled before continuing his game. I turned around to find her with a big adorable smile on her face. God I loved her smile, it always seems to cheer me up.

"Ok so what's up?" I asked her, honestly curious to know the answer.

She looked like she was about to explode with excitement. And she sort of did. "Homecoming!" She shouted while holding up jazz hands around her face.

"What?" What was she talking about, wasn't she going with EJ? And why would she want to go with me?

"I'm inviting all my friends for a night out on homecoming! What do you think?" She asked me excitedly, but she still seemed slightly uncomfortable.

What did I think? I mean if I'm being honest, I didn't want to go at all, especially if it was with everyone else. I just wanted to go with Nini. I just wanted to go back to the way we were before. It was hard enough having to watch Nini with EJ, but having to spend a whole night with her while she looked absolutely gorgeous, and not be able to do anything about it- that sounded impossible.

"Actually, um, I was planning on hanging with Big Red that night." I lied.

"Oh well he can come too!" Damn it.

I tried. I tried to think of something else, some other excuse, but what else was there? "I don't know...."

"Come on, please! It'll be fun! We'll all get to dress up, go out, forget about everything going on in our lives." I guess she meant my parents. Maybe she was right. Maybe it'd be a good thing for me to just have a night to myself, to have fun.

"You know what, sure , why not? It'll be fun!" As long as I can somehow avoid Nini all night.

She squealed and clapped her hands in excitement, "great! Well then I guess I'll see you tomorrow then." She walked past me to the door but stopped before opening it. She turned to face me, "Actually, before I go... could I talk to you," she looked at Big Red and turned back to me, "in private."

What? I swallowed hard. What did she want to talk about that she could t say in front of Big Red? "Sure" I pointed upstairs before starting to walk to my room as she followed behind me.

Nini's POV:

I followed him up into his bedroom. Wow it's been a while since I've been up here. And no not in that way, we never went that far while we were dating... but we did spend a lot of time just hanging out in here. It hasn't changed a bit. Everything was the same. The bed, the wall, the small basketball hoop hanging over his door. And the pictures of us on his nightstand. There was the one from Valentine's Day when he'd surprised me with a dozen roses and and a giant box of chocolate covered strawberries, which he knew were my favorites. There was the picture of us bundled up in our winter gear moments after we had called a truce on a snowball fight, we looked a mess, but we looked happy. He looked happy. And then there was the last picture, me. I remember when he had taken it: