Chapter 16

Ricky's POV:

"What do you mean you are?" I glared my eyes at EJ, taking a single step closer.

"I mean," he dragged out, taking two steps closer to me, "you left the show, which left us in need of a new Troy." He tossed the basketball in the air with his right hand and caught it with his left, "which is me."

I couldn't hide the anger inside of me. Surely Miss Jen wouldn't let EJ keep the roll now that I'm back.

I took another step closer until I was standing right in front of him. "Ya well don't get too comfortable. The second Miss Jen finds out I'm back, I'll be playing the part of Troy. Not you."

He tossed the ball back to his right hand, "I wouldn't be so sure about that." He gave me a wicked smile that made me feel somewhat uneasy.

We held each other's stares for what felt like forever before a loud voice drew our attention away. "Alright everyone! Let's get this party started the show will be opening in just a few weeks and we need to make sure that-" Miss Jen stopped in her tracks and stared right at me, a look of pure shock on her face.

"R-Ricky." She managed to mutter. "Wha-" she breathed, her lips forming a nervous smile. "What are you doing here, I thought you quit the show?"

"I thought I had to quit, but turns out I don't! So I'm ready to get back to playing Troy."

She made a face and looked at the ground before meeting my eyes again. "Ricky..." she made her way towards me and grabbed my hands, "you're not playing the part of Troy anymore. EJ is."

"Well ya, but I'm back now and I still remember all my lines and stuff, so I can go back to playing Troy." I tried to explain, but the look on Miss Jens face was making me really nervous.

She released my hands and walked back to where she was standing before. "Look, honey, In show biz, if you quit a show, you don't just get to come back and be as you were before." She brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes. "Actually, typically in show biz, if you quit, there's no coming back."

She must have seen the look of terror that spread across my face because she immediately threw her hands out in front of her, "I'm not saying you can't come back at all!!" She lowered her hands, "but because of your actions, I can't just give you back the role of Troy."

This was crazy. She was seriously going to take the part of Troy away from me altogether? Because I quit? Of course I quit the show, I thought I was moving to Chicago!!! Was this supposed to be some sort of punishment for quitting over text? And if I wasn't Troy then what was I?

"So what's my part now? Understudy? Chad?" I asked in a calm frustration.

"You'll be playing chorus dancer 5."

"What?!! You're joking right?" I shot out in frustration, my face scrunching you in confusion.

"The understudy positions are already filled and we've already moved EJs understudy to play the roll of Chad." Miss Jen explained, firmly standing her ground.

I threw my hands up in the air, "I can't believe this! You're seriously putting me in the chorus??!!"

"I'm sorry Ricky, but that's your new role. You can either take it or leave it." Miss Jen offered, folding her hands together as if she could care less which I were to choose.

I looked around the room. Everyone was either looking at me with pity, or completely avoiding eye contact all together. The only face that looked genuinely shocked was Nini's. I'm guessing she had also thought I'd be able to get the role of Troy back upon my arrival.

"Fine. I'm out." I started storming towards the door, pushing past my former cast mates.

Although I didn't turn around I heard Nini shout, "Ricky wait!" But I was already out the door.

"Ricky!" She caught up to me in the hall. "Ricky stop!" She cut me off standing in front of me. "Ricky, please don't quit the show like this okay? Look we can find a way to get you the part of Troy again, and even if we can't, who cares if you're in the chorus! At least we'll be together." She placed her hand on the side of my face, tempting me to lean into it and just calm down.

But I couldn't.

I pulled her hand back, "I don't want to be in some stupid chorus okay?! And I sure as hell don't want to spend every day watching that asshole sing next to you!"

She laughed slightly and held my hand, "that's sweet but come on Ricky, it's not like you're that into musical theater. I mean you auditioned to prove to me that you were willing to fight for me, and you have."

I wanted to say she was right. That I didn't need this anymore because I had Nini back in my life. But I actually started to like it. All of it. The singing, the feeling up on stage, the people, even the dancing! I finally felt like I was a part of something. I finally found something I was really good at, and really passionate about for that matter. And clearly no one else can see that but me.

I pulled her hands off of mine and took a few steps back. "Im not going back."

She gave me a look of what seemed to be sadness and disappointment. "Why don't you just talk to Miss Jen privately after rehearsals?" She offered.

When I didn't say anything she made her puppy dog face and begged, "pleaseeeee."

I couldn't help but laugh at her cuteness. "Fine. Ok. I'll go talk to her after rehearsal."

Nini clapped her hands in excitement and ran to me, throwing her arms around my neck and placing a kiss on my cheek. "I have to go back now but, good luck!" She gave me another kiss, "love you!" And she scurried off back into the drama room.

Of course I didn't want to talk to Miss Jenn about the situation. She clearly didn't want me playing any big roles now, why, I still didn't fully understand. But it clearly means a lot to Nini for me to at least try, so I will. Maybe I can convince Miss Jen that I'm perfect for Troy and explain to her the full story in private.

As I began to brainstorm what to say, I made my way to the library waiting for rehearsals to finish up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been two hours when I finally received the text from Nini saying they were all leaving now and that Miss Jen should be in her office.

Well, it's game time, I told myself.

I made my way down to the practice room to see if Miss Jen was still in there. Sure enough, I could see Miss Jen standing behind the curtains.

As I started walking closer I could hear her talking to someone, "remember, no one can know okay?"

Huh, was she on the phone? Who was she talking to? And what did she not want people to know?

"If anyone found out I'd be in serious trouble, not to mention you would be too." She continued.

I slowly crept closer until suddenly I saw another face, causing me to pull back and out of sight.

"Sure thing Jennifer, no one will ever know."

I took a few steps forward to see what was happening but stopped dead once the full image came into picture.

There, standing in front of Miss Jenn with his back against the curtains was EJ.

Making out with Miss Jenn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

note***

IM SO SORRY FOR THE DELAY!!!!!!
It's getting hard to regularly post updates but I will try harder in the future!! Please keep supporting me and leaving me your thoughts and inputs on the story and I will try to get you all updates more frequently!!!

Thank you for all the support!! I love reading y'all's comments!!