Chapter 9

Ricky's POV:

"Mind if I cut in?"

Nini I both turned our heads to see Kourtney standing a few feet from us, hands on her hips. We quickly stood straight and faced her.

"Oh! No- no not at all," Nini frantically responded, rubbing her hands on her dress, "he's all yours Kourt." She started to walk past Kourtney but she stopped her. "I meant with you," she grabbed Nini's arm and started to pull her away, "bye Ricky!" She shouted over the music as she dragged Nini away.

Phew. We came this close to kissing. I couldn't tell if I should thank Kourtney for interrupting or if I should give her a piece of my mind, but if I'm being honest, right now I'm more upset than I am thankful. If tonight was about living in the moment, then ya I really wanted to kiss Nini. And she wasn't backing away like last time, so she had to have felt the same way.

But now that she was gone, I didn't know what to do. So I let out a deep breath and just stood there awkwardly in the middle of the dance floor, trying to fully comprehend what just happened- or what almost happened.

"So, how about those dance moves?" I turned to see Gina standing behind me.

I looked over at Nini, who was currently grabbing some punch with Kourtney on the other side of the gymnasium. Then a hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me further into the dance floor, "Come on!" Gina yelled.

She started twirling around and jumping to the beat, while I just awkwardly hopped from foot to foot, not sure how to dance with her.

"Oh come on, show me your good moves Ricky!" She shouted as she twirled around me once more. "Not sure who told you that I had moves, but let me tell you, I can't dance." I said as I continued my awkward hopping.

"Oh please, there's no need to be modest, show me what you got!" She said as she grabbed my right hand with her left, then spun herself in, then out, then back in, then slid into the splits. Woah.
"Not too bad." She said as she stood from the splits. "I just stood here." Was my reply.

"I'm kinda thirsty, could you get me some punch?" She completely Ignored my response.
"Uh, sure." I responded in what sounded more like a question than an answer.

"Great!" She put her hand on my shoulder and kissed my cheek. What the- "thanks!" She waved me goodbye as I slowly and awkwardly walked over to the punch bowl, completely lost as to what just happened.

Nini's POV:

Kourt led me over to the punch bowl, "what on earth do you think you're doing Nini? Do you not remember who that is?" She asked, The Who referring to Ricky.

"It's Ricky, what's the big deal? I've known him since kindergarten."

"The big deal," she emphasized with wide eyes, "Is that if you're not careful, you're gonna get your heart broken all over again." She gave me a steady look. "I mean come on Nini! Don't you remember how heartbroken you were after what happened this summer? And after what happened with EJ, which might I remind you happened not too long ago. What happened to the Nini who doesn't need a boy to be happy?"

"I don't need a boy to be happy, but Ricky does make me happy, okay? I can't help that." I defended myself. It's not that I needed him to be happy, it's that he made me happier.

"Really?" She crosses her arms and gave me her I-don't-believe-a-word-you're-saying face. "Tell me, Nini, does that," she pointed over to the dance floor, "make you happy?"

I followed the imaginary line that her finger had created, only to see Ricky and Gina dancing. Well more Gina than Ricky and- did she just do the splits? I watched them as she stood up and asked him something. He said something with a dumbfounded look on his face, and then she kissed him on the cheek. I hated to admit it but, that definitely did not make me happier. And now he was headed my way! 'Stop staring!', I told myself. I quickly grabbed a cup and started filling it with punch. I turned around to try and leave before he got there and BAMM! The punch went flying everywhere and-