chapter two

For this book, (Y/n) won't really like Adrien. Obviously this doesn't mean he's a bad person or that I don't like him as a character. Anyway, enjoy the chapter 💗

"So, (Y/n), want to hang out with us at the weekend?" Alya asks as we eat our lunch.

I go through a bag of M&Ms that I snatched from my secret stash before leaving this morning. "Sorry, I can't. I've got to show my father that I can keep my grades up while attending public school for now, so I probably won't be able to properly see you guys out of school for a while," I say with a mouthful. "Thanks for the offer though."

"Oh, yeah. I keep forgetting you're Adrien's sister." She frowns, taking a bite of her lunch. "Your old man is harsh."

Marinette tenses up, shooting her a glance and mouthing, Alya, in a warning tone. Alya just sends her a shrug in response, which amuses me. I admire her ability to speak her mind. I share the same trait, though I haven't had the chance to use it much yet.

"Tell me about it," I say coolly, mostly just to relax Marinette. I don't mind people who aren't afraid to be honest. To some extent, at least.

"Well, you're welcome to join us whenever it's OK to," she adds, her eyes warm and friendly. They're so beautiful, so easy to get lost in.

"I'll definitely take you up on that offer," I say. "Just not this time."

A warm feeling floods my chest. Is this what having friends feel like? Do they feel the same way? Before any of us can say anything more, I feel my hair being ruffled.

"Hey, (Y/n)," Adrien says. "Are you enjoying school so far?"

I slap his hand away and glare at him for messing up my hair. Why is he acting like we're close? We're not. I quickly fix my hair, combing it with my fingers. "Yeah. It's been fine."

He laughs nervously when he notices my clearly annoyed expression. "That's good to hear." He glances up at Marinette and Alya. "I see you've made yourself apart of my friend group already."

Ah, so they're apart of my brother's friend group. Now I understand why Marinette was so surprised when she found out I was Adrien's sister. It's weird when you're close with someone and then you suddenly find out a major detail about them that they've never said anything about. "Yeah. Marinette and Alya are great."

"This is Nino, by the way," he says, gesturing to a boy with a cap, glasses and headphones around his neck. "He's my best friend."

"Hey," he greets me, shooting me a casual wave. I wave back. "Adrien's never said anything about having a sister."

"Yeah, I've noticed," I say. A pang of disappointment courses through me again and Adrien looks to the floor. "I'm (Y/n), if he forgot to say."

"Nice to meet you," he says, taking a seat next to Alya. He wraps an arm around her and she subconsciously leans into him. Oh, they're together. Cute.

Adrien comes to sit down between me and Marinette. He crosses his legs, but accidentally brushes knees with her. Marinette sits up straight.

"Sorry," they both say in unison, their voices going slightly higher than they normally are. They would also be cute together. Wait, no. Marinette deserves better.

"So, Adrien, are you free to hang out with us, this weekend?" Alya asks, still resting her head on Nino's shoulder, who seems to be listening to music through his headphones now. "(Y/n)'s not unfortunately. Is it the same for you?"

"Oh, I think I'll be free," he says. "I'll ask Father when I go home."

"Wait, why would you be allowed to go, but not (Y/n)?" Nino asks Adrien, holding one headphone away from his ear so he can hear his response.