chapter nine

"(Y/n), you alright?" Marinette asks, waving a hand in front of my face to draw me back to reality. Concern is etched on her face and I feel bad for making her worry.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I say softly with a smile, which doesn't seem to convince her fully by how the uneasiness lingers in her eyes, but it's enough for her to leave it.

The truth is I'm feeling a flurry of different emotions right now. We're currently on our way to Marinette's place — we, as in me, Marinette, Alya, Juleka, Rose, and Mylene — and Father allowed me to go. That's the thing that's making me feel all of this though. After refusing to talk or even see me for days, making me feel guilty, he simply lets me go through Natalie's words.

Heightened anger, frustration, guilt and sadness all blurs into one, confusion. A sticky web of thoughts manifests in my mind but I don't dare try untangle it because I don't want to get stuck.

So, I avoid it completely, let myself feel confused, and put on a smile as I shove my hands into my coat pockets and continue on. It's quite cold today so I brought it. It was Mother's when she was still with us. It's slightly large on me because she was taller than me and had slightly broader shoulders, but I like it. The faux fur trim tickles my cheeks and I fiddle with stray wisps of fraying fabric on it. It doesn't smell like her perfume anymore but it used to.

Of course, Father would kill me if he knew I took it, but I'm too mad to care.

"Next time, you have to get ice cream with us," Alya directs the conversation to me, taking a caramel from her pocket and popping it in her mouth. "I get that your father's really strict. Trust me, we know from Adrien, but we can find a time for you to meet with us."

"Mhm, he's just really... protective." The word feels foreign on my tongue and a wince almost comes out with it. In a way, I guess it is true, but I'm too tired to question his intentions, especially today. All I want is a distraction.

Just the thought of distraction causes an image of Luka to pop up in my head. Disregarding what happened that night and what's going on with Marinette, he's so carefree. His happiness is simply contagious. Without knowing I've drifted off again, I let out a helpless sigh. Unfortunately, this catches the attention of the others around me and they definitely get the wrong idea.

"Earth to (Y/n)?" Alya laughs along with the others and even Marinette manages a playful smile. She raises an eyebrow and carries on, "You've been caught up in your thoughts a lot today. That sigh seemed a bit lovesick to me."

I immediately freeze in place and stiffen, a blush creeping up my neck. I attempt to redeem myself, "No, not at all."

Was I really thinking about Luka that way again? Gah, I need to learn how to stop that. Now, they're going to find out. I'm good at lying normally. Why is my heart going so fast?

All of them also pause after realising I'm not walking anymore. Turning around, Alya adds with a wink, "I was only teasing but it seems I was right."

Rose lets go of Juleka's hand — a couple's habit of theirs which is incredibly endearing — to clasp both of hers over her face in a mix of excitement and surprise. Her blue eyes sparkle as she says, "No way. Is there a special someone?"

"No, seriously," I insist. Warmth rushes to me all of a sudden and I nervously tug at the collar of my coat. "There's no one."

After training for the real world through obsessively watching TV shows and anime all my life, I thought a situation like this would be easy to combat. Now that I'm actually facing it, however, it is much harder. I never get flustered. What's up with me today?

Mylene, like Rose, cradles her face with her hands. "There must be someone."

Juleka only smirks, something uncommon for her from what I've seen of her, watching with a buzz of curiosity.