chapter seven

Darkness plagues my surroundings. Gasps of excruciating pain follow me as I limp further forward. Just a bit further. I stumble blindly over sinister roots tangled in the mottled grass. Ahead, I see light. I can make it. I can really make it.

I trip and fall.

Hitting the ground with a wince, I hug my knees to my chest. My ankle is useless. Experimentally, I press my fingers to it but recoil as a fresh surge of pain courses through my body. Now, as I withdraw them, the little light there is glints off the black liquid coating them. My heartbeat thunders in my ears, absolutely deafening.

"Why aren't you with me?" I hiss weakly, but of course, there's no reaction. It's impossible to tell whether it's because I wasn't heard or they didn't want to hear. Either way, the pain continues to rage through me.

Why did you leave me? The question isn't what hurts the most though, it's the fear of the answer or the lack of answer. Will it ever come? Or will it hurt more to hear?

The pain is unbearable now and I know I won't be able to stand again. There's nothing I can do. Everything is so dark, so dark. Why is it so dark?

~

The glow of my phone illuminates the room when I turn it on. 3:06AM. Since I most likely won't be able to get back to sleep anytime soon, I pick it up from my bedside table and unlock it with a few taps. I need to distract myself from everything that happened last night. All I keep seeing is Father's heartbroken eyes — as if they're branded into my memory. Guilt swarms me. I can't even begin to imagine how he's feeling right now, and it's probably selfish, but I don't want to know.

And then, there's the kiss.

My hand instinctively reaches out to hover over my lips. His were so warm and... and desperate. I quickly shake the image from my mind. Why did I let him do that? I could have easily pulled away but instead, I let him. Luka's actions can speak for himself but the same goes for me. I acted just as badly in that situation, maybe even worse.

All I wanted was to get out there and make friends. Now, it looks like I'm on the verge of losing one.

I subconsciously flick onto the photos app as the thoughts all blur into one in my mind. It's all my fault.

However, as soon as my eyes meet the last photo taken, even that one is erased from my mind and my emotions take a full one eighty.

Kai's number fills my screen and suddenly, the room feels warmer. I fumble with my phone as I enter the digits into a new contact and save it. Should I text him? What if he doesn't even remember me?

Shut up, (N/n), I tell myself. Just text him. The worst that can happen is you don't get a reply.

"I'm sure a lot worse can happen," I huff dryly, to which the voice in my head firmly persuades me, JUST DO IT.

I take a deep breath and send him a quick introductory text. Nothing can go wrong with something simple and innocent, right?

Me
Hey, Kai, it's (Y/n) from the bubble tea shop :)

Next, I proceed to freak out and bury my face in my pillow. Apart from that one incident yesterday, I have had no interaction with boys (outside of family, of course), especially ones that are apparently interested in me?!

When my phone buzzes with a response, I peek out from behind the pillow to see it. Right away, his words cause me to blush further, but more out of embarrassment than potential feelings.

Kai
Is it often you text strangers at 3am or am I a special case?

I curse under my breath as I realise the time. Why did I decide to text an unfortunately cute stranger at 3AM? Still, he replied only a few minutes after me, so the only suitable comeback is:

Me
Do you always respond to strangers texting you at 3am or am I a special case?

Kai
you really just pulled that UNO reverse card, didn't you?

I laugh softly at this, but I don't know why. It's not like anyone would hear me considering how spaced out the rooms are. Maybe it's just because I want the moment to be my own.

Me
I guess I did aha

I cringe at my terrible attempt at continuing the conversation and sigh to myself.

Kai
So I'm guessing you're interested then?

The blunt question catches me off guard and I consider this for a second. He wasn't stunningly handsome or anything when I first saw him, just simple and familiar in a way, but at the same time, I can't help but feel anxious about this.

I don't really know him and Father would probably never let me out again if he found out that I was flirting with a boy, let alone a stranger.

I weigh out the possibilities for a moment, before typing a basic answer.

Me
yes

I lock my phone after I hit send and just lay there with it in my hand, blankly staring up at the ceiling for a while. Will this be my first relationship? Is this what it's supposed to feel like?

The nervous butterflies are manifesting into something worse. Anxiety rolls over me like a wave and I can't seem to move, just stare. I don't want to know what he says next, but I do at the same time. Surely it shouldn't be this difficult to just text a boy, right?

Placing the phone face down on the bedside table, I turn over so I don't have to face it anymore. Maybe I'm just tired. I'll text him back in the morning and if he asks, I can just say I fell asleep.

I shut my eyes and wait for sleep to come for me once more.

🍃
a/n: word count: 1016

sorry for the short chapter but THANK YOU ALL FOR OVER 2K READS!! 💖💖 it means so much to me and I'm so grateful for all of you for sticking with me through my terrible updating schedule! I love you all :)

on an unrelated note, you guys have heard of Kai x (Y/n) and Luka x (Y/n), but have you ever considered... (Y/n) x (Y/n)? When she was talking to herself, don't tell me you didn't sense the chemistry? 😳

okie I'm sorry lmao,,
hope you liked this (even though I'm not sure how to feel about the dream)!

Love from,
starraika 💗