chapter three

"I'm so happy your father finally agreed to let you come out with us," Alya says, stretching her arms out, as we walk beside the river. The sky is bright today, like most days, but soon it will get colder, with Autumn turning into Winter.

"Yeah, same." I smile at the fact that I'm actually out with people I call my friends. I can't believe this is now my reality. And all it took was one argument to shift Father's mind.

"You're allowed to come shopping with us as well, right?" she asks, her eyes wide and hopeful.

I sigh, recalling the late hours of last night that I spent finishing everything. Father's face remained emotionless when I requested to go out today, but he simply nodded and dismissed me. "Yeah. I made sure to do all my school work and extra work yesterday so I was allowed out for the rest of the weekend."

Ahead of us, Adrien and Kagami walk hand in hand. Kagami seems so lovestruck and carefree, unlike the cool and collected girl I'm used to seeing. However, when I look at Adrien, he seems more awkward, almost as if he's forcing love.

There seemed to be more romantic chemistry between him and Marinette.

"Cool," Alya's voice tears me from my thoughts. "Oh, we're here."

I look up to see bright, light-up letters reading, cinéma. The building itself is tall, with large posters of the upcoming movies plastered over the windows. It's also attached to a mall - which is presumably the one we'll shop at later. When we walk in, I notice that Marinette and the others - Juleka, Rose, Mylene, Ivan, and Nino - are already there, waiting in line.

That's when I notice another person too, a very familiar person.

I instinctively jump behind Alya. "Hide me."

"From who?" she asks in the same hushed tone as mine, a playful grin painted on her lips.

I nervously look out form behind her shoulder. "That one there." I wait for her eyes to find the boy with the dyed hair. "I accidentally bumped into him in the hallway and made him drop everything."

Alya laughs. "Don't worry about it. He probably doesn't even remember."

"Hey, guys." She walks up to everyone, unveiling me to everyone. I attempt to cover my face with my (h/l) hair as well as my sleeve. However, I still feel a certain gaze burning into me. I uncover my eyes for a second and lock eyes with him.

I heat up immediately and look at the ground.

Alya smirks at me and then turns to the guy. "Luka, this is (Y/n). She's a little shy, but once you get to know her, she'll open up a bit more."

She ruffles my hair and I glare at her.

The guy, Luka, tilts his head to one side as he looks at me. "Aren't you that girl that ran into me in the hallway?"

My eyes dart up to meet his, (e/c) against blue green. "Oh, uh, yeah."

He laughs coolly. "Anyway, nice to meet you."

"Yeah, same to you," I quickly get out, relief sinking in after the conversation is over. He puts his arm around Marinette's shoulders as he looks at her and pulls her near, starting his own conversation with her.

My heart sinks in my chest as the realisation slips through me. They are a couple.

Sadness snags at me as Luka and Marinette get everyone their tickets and the rest of us go to the snack bar. Adrien and Kagami are at the front of the queue, ordering together, whilst I'm last, alone. Everyone else has someone they love with them, whereas I don't have anyone I can call my own.