Part 25

Chapter 25

Carlos POV (finally right?)

"If you guys never would have brought him here this never would have happened. What were you thinking?!" Mal scolded them.

"He was going to come with or without us." Evie explained, "We just wanted to protect him."

"Yeah, and we completely blew it guys." Carlos snapped still on edge from the news about Camilla.

"Okay." Jay called settling the room, "Okay, so what are we gonna do?"

"We are not doing anything." Mal said, "This is between Uma and me, and she's a punk and guess what, now I have to go get him."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, Mal." Carlos stopped her, "You're still going to have to go through Harry Hook and his warcrats."

"Yeah, you're gonna need us." Jay added.

"Uma said to come alone." She reminded them.

"Mal come on –" Evie tried.

"She said to come alone." Carlos caved, "I know one thing, I'm not going anywhere." He said sitting on an old ripped chair.

"We'll be here when you get back." Jay told her and she left for Uma's place. Jay and Evie began talking about the situation they now found themselves in. They had failed Ben and now Auradon's king was at the mercy of one of the worst villains they knew. While they talked Carlos's mind wandered back to his sister. He had hoped that they'd have time to find her so he could talk to her, he hadn't seen her since the coronation and he felt terrible about the way they'd left things between them. He wanted to sit down and talk to her, maybe even convince her to come to Auradon but now he had bigger problems. Harry Hook had her, she was at the mercy of pirates and it made Carlos feel even worse. Camilla had always been strong and now she was probably locked up below deck somewhere cold and damp and filthy.

He couldn't just sit here letting these thoughts plague him he had to act. He glanced at Jay and Evie who were sitting at another table now looking at Mal's artwork and talking about way back when they were just villain kids. Carlos took the opportunity to slip out of their hangout and back into the dark alleys of the Isle. He kept his head down knowing he wasn't too welcome now and not needing his mother to find out he was here. It took him a while before he found what he was looking for, he didn't know the Isle as well as he used too, but he still knew it when he saw it – the Jolly Roger. Carlos knew it was Hook's ship and if Harry had Camilla this is where she'd be.

'Harry and his crew must be with Uma at Mal's meeting.' He thought as he got closer to the ship and noticed that not a single soul was aboard it. He knew he couldn't just walk up the main plank and right onto the ship, he'd have to find another way in. Lucky for him as he walked along the Inlet he saw a huge broken window with a rope that would take him right to it. Thanks to tourney and fencing back at Auradon Prep Carlos's upper body strength had improved so he had no problem scaling the rope and rolling into the captain's quarters. Hook wasn't around he noticed, he was probably tending to his shop. Carlos did his best to sneak down below decks, in case anyone was left guarding the ship. Thanks to living with his mother he'd gotten pretty good at keeping his footsteps silent so he could get to school and not be stuck doing her chores all day. The skill came in handy when Carlos made it through the cots where the crew slept and cracked open a door to peek inside. Bingo, he thought, the brig. He carefully squeezed through the door and closed it silently behind him. When he turned to the cells he was confused, they were all empty. He was about to head out of the ship and start working on plan b when he heard clapping coming from the back corner. 

"Well done." Came an accented voice as Harry stepped out of the shadows, "But this is my ship and there's not a single hole in the hull that I don't know about." He looked at Carlos with pure hate in his eyes, a hate that he didn't fully understand. How could Harry be so mad at him? Sure they were foes but in all their prior encounters he'd never gotten the death-stare he was getting now.

"Where's my sister?" he plucked up the courage to ask. "I need to talk to her."

"Oh now ye care about yer sister?" Harry asked as he raised one arm to lean on the bars the fire in his eyes still strong. "Yeh didn't seem to care much at that fancy coronation."

"It was a misunderstanding –" he tried to defend himself.

"Is that what ye call it when ye abandon yer kin?"

"I didn't abandon her!" Carlos shouted now getting angry at Harry's accusations, "She ran out on us. She chose evil over good –"

"Ain't nothin' compared to what ye did." Harry sneered. "I've got sisters too and I've done some pretty low down rotten things. But I'd never do what ye did. To abandon yer family, there be nothing worse than that."

Carlos was silent for a long time while he mulled over Hook's words. Had he really become worse than a pirate? He should have gone after Camilla when she ran from the hall instead of staying with the others. Then something else popped into his head, why did Harry care? Why were his problems with Camilla something that angered Harry?

"What don't have anything to say now?" Came a new voice and Camilla stepped out of the shadows from the opposite corner. "I thought you said you wanted to talk, so talk."

"Camilla." He took a minute to look her over; she'd changed, a lot. Her hair was shorter, her eyes held more fire and her outfit was positively pirate. "What are you doing with him?" he asked gesturing to Harry.

She scoffed "Is that what you came to talk about? My relationship status?"

His eyes darted to Harry and he saw a wicked grin spread on his face then he shook his head a bit to clear his thoughts.

"I'm not talking about this in front of him. Can we please just talk alone?"

"Anything you have to say to me can be said in front of Harry." she said, her hand going to rest on the hilt of her sword. "But let me guess, you want me to go to Auradon? You want me to chose good even if it's not what I want? That way you can have everything you need for your own happily ever after? Is that it?"

"Camilla, I. . . I just want my sister back." He said sensing that talking to her would be hopeless.

"You've become one of them!" she accused loudly but he saw tears well up in her eyes, "They didn't care about anything other than themselves too. You think they're so pure and so good. Look at Audrey, look at Chad, at that ridiculous family day they turned everyone on us in an instant! And they're all the same!" Carlos could tell he couldn't win and with the two of them against him he'd never make it out. As Camilla yelled he'd backed slowly to the door but just as he reached for the handle the door flew open and there stood Gil blocking his only way out.

"Hey Carlos!" he said cheerfully but forcibly shoved him back into the room. He could tell where this was going, he had no path to flee so he turned back to his sister.

"Camilla, please." He begged and for a short second he thought he saw a flash of sadness in her eyes. Then it was gone, replaced by the hard stone and anger he was used to.

"Take him to the brig." She sneered and Gil grabbed him from behind and put a cloth over his nose and mouth, in an instant Carlos was out cold.