Chapter 5: The Elder

Sofia drives you guys all through the night and a good chunk of the early morning out into the desert. After stopping at one point, the three of you get out of the car and Sofia goes to the back and opens the back up to let her dogs out.

She gets a bowl then sets it on the sand and pours water in it while you lean against the car and watch this and John looks out at the desert. "Here you go." Sofia said to her dogs and they gather around the bowl and started lapping up the water.

"You're gonna die, John. Whether out here on this desert. Or somewhere else down the road. But you are gonna die. And so is your wife." Sofia said when John comes back around and pulls out the marker from his pocket. He opens it, pricks his finger on the needle at the top and places his bloody thumbprint inside of the market next to the one Sofia made.

"Consequences." John said as he hands the marker to her. "Consequences." She said as she takes it and she holds out a bottle with a very small amount of water inside of it. John goes to grab it but she pulls it away from him and starts to drink the water. Then she swishes it around her mouth then spits it back in the bottle before handing it back to John. "Better get going." She sneered and you rolled your eyes as you move away from the car and John takes the water.

"Sofia." John mutters, in a manner of saying goodbye, and you nod at her and the two of you began to walk out into the desert while she and her dogs load back up in the car and drive off.

Hours and hours go by as you and John continued to walk through the day and night and into the next day. But you couldn't take it anymore and you started to stumble along, your feet were hurting and couldn't hold your weight anymore.

You let out one breath of air before you collapsed and fell into unconsciousness. John tried to catch you but he was feeling tired and weak too and ended up falling into the sand with you, both of you out cold.

Minutes later, a couple of men with some camel come across your bodies. They pick both of you up and placed you on one camel and John on the other before they take you two away.

Your eyes started to flutter open as you started to come back to conciousness. You groaned and started to move your head then you look up to see you were laying next to John, who also started to wake up. Then you noticed you wete in some kind've tent. "Drink." A voice said and you gasped as you turn your head to the right and see a man sitting a few feet in front of you and John. You and John started to reach in your jackets to make sure your weapons were still there.

"Don't worry, your weapons are still there. Please drink." The man, which you figured had to be the Elder, said and both of you sit up and see a couple of cups. "My son, how have you come to be so lost?" The Elder asked John as you two take the cups and you began to drink. "I'm not lost. Looking for you." John replied then he takes a drink. "You think I speak of your location? Never seen a man fight so hard to end up back where he started." The Elder said and he stands up then walks over to you two then kneels down to John to look at him.

"So tell me, Jonathan. Why do you wish to live?" He asked John. John turns to you and takes your hand in his and looks into your eyes. "My wife, (y/n). I've hurt her so much these past few weeks. I've lied to her and I've put her through hell...and yet she still stands by me. I want to live to make it up to her, to prove my love for her, to earn it, and to live a peaceful life with her." He said and you smile, fondly, at this. You almost wanted to cry and kiss him right then and there but you didn't think it would be appropriate in front of the Elder, so you just squeezed his hand and he smiles at you.

"I can give you one last chance to earn a life. However, it might not be the life that you wish. Complete a task for us, and your excommunicado will be reversed. The open contract closed. You will be permitted to continue to live. However, you won't be completely freed from under the Table; but bound to it doing what you do best for the rest of your days." The Elder said and you slightly frowned at this.