Chapter 12

'It was you,wasn't it?'
~~~~~
You sat on the couch,trying to figure out a tiny contraption called a 'slide puzzle'. Strange,really. Why would humans give themselves a problem they can't possibly solve?!what a waste of time and materials!Pearl and Amethyst walked through the door,heading to sit at the kitchen counter,earning a groan of panic from Steven. "I can't believe you've had your phone for a month,and you haven't used it at all!" "That's not true!I use it to tell the time!" Pearl argued back.

Amethyst sighed and took the phone in her hands, "come here,P. Huh,let's change your wallpaper". She lifted the phone in the air and stuck a arm behind her neck as she stuck her tongue out,taking a selfie and setting it as Pearl's wallpaper,you giggling at her silly pose. "Looks great!okay,now texting is in the messages. Just click on this screen icon—" Steven interrupted,panicking,"PEARL,CAN I ASK YOU SOME—" "hold on,Stevo. Im in the middle of a demonstration. K,anyway,then you can type pretty much anything you want!"

Steven's phone made a jingle sound,alerting him he got a message from Pearl.

'Dear Steven,Hello. Love,Pearl'

"You should get a case for that thing" Amethyst suggested. "I do!" Pearl proudly claimed as she proceeded to summon a suitcase from her gem. "Okay. I have a whole bunch of actual phone cases in my room. Don't go and throw that thing against a rock or anything until I'm back" Amethyst instructed,heading to her room. You got up and went outside to go wander around beach city. Now it was just Pearl and Steven.

Nervously,Steven approached Pearl. "Pearl..?" "What is it,Steven?" "She asked,eyes on her phone. "..you remember how mom shattered Pink Diamond..?well,I was just wondering if,maybe..you shattered Pink Diamond..?" He asked. Pearl looked at him with shock,at a loss for words, "I-" as she drops the phone and covers her mouth with her hands,struggling to speak. "It's okay,you can speak to me!" Steven encourages,Pearl shakes her head,as if to say 'No,I can't tell you',looking very disturbed by the question. "Why can't you just talk to me about this?!" Steven asks,frustrated.

Before anything else can be said,a door opens,Amethyst walking in on the scene. "I got the—phone..case...". Pearl slowly uncovers her mouth and immediately brings her attention to the phone case,casting more suspicion onto her, "ah yes,the phone case!thank you Amethyst!Whoops,so clumsy," she kneels over and quickly grabs the phone, "It's probably safer if I just keep it in here!" She chuckles nervously,storing the phone away in her gem. Grabbing the suitcase,she marches her way into the temple gate,leaving. "Wait,come on!just put it in this,then put it in your head!" Amethyst tries to reason,chasing after her with the phone case,only to be met by a closed door. "What was that?" Amethyst questions,Steven sighing in response.

~~~~
Steven stands near the fry shop eating fry bits,Tanzanite standing there next to him to listen to his vents. "So..you think Pearl could've shattered her..?" "Yes" "and you're sure it was her?that's quite a bold assumption to make about someone like Pearl.." "Why's that?" "Well..it's really not in my place to say. Just wait until Pearl's comfortable enough to talk about that" "but I can't 'just wait'!I need to know what really happened!" Steven yelled in frustration.

Then he got a text, " 'I want to tell you,but I can't'?" He read aloud. Getting up,he rushed off back home,where Pearl was  currently vacuuming the Warp Pad. "PEARL I'M READY TO TALK!!" "Uh- what?" Pearl questioned as she turnt off the vacuum. "I got your text! 'I want to tell you,but I can't'?with a monkey emoji?" "Steven,I didn't send that. I haven't used my phone since I put it away this morning" "maybe you butt-dialed me?with your gem?" "No,that's impossible!hang on,i'll pull it out and we'll get to the bottom of this. See,here" she answers,summoning a object from her gem:a remote control. She drops the remote "see I-" she tries again,this time the object is a violin. This goes on for a while. A aerodynamic book,one of Steven's shirts,a bundle of cash,tons of items..except her phone.