✰Stars✰

-✰𝕎𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝔽𝕖𝕝𝕝✰-

When you've predicted something all your life, how does it feel when something happens that you can't predict?

I can't explain this feeling. I just feel so... so numb. They're gone. My light.

My stars.

The stars that directed me on this path, have disappeared. But now?

Now I must make my own directions.

"Receive the Stars blessing. The Stars will bless you and watch over you. We all feel the condolences of Callisto Luna and Andromeda Luna as they become the stars that watch over us."

The old man, known as Elder Cal spoke. He was one of the last elders, that is until the next generation aged. For there was no such thing as immortal anymore. He had been great friends of my parents. Or so I had been told. The funeral was quiet, except for the few occasional tears, of course.

I had not shed a single tear, nor was I going to. I stood in front of the crowd. My parents were to be buried as of now.

Last time I had checked, it was about 10pm. I took deep breaths as parting cries were sounded. In the Star tradition, we wore white to funerals and attended them in the night. The rule was never strange to me after all, it was all I had ever known.

I watched in devastation as my parents' bodies were lowered to the ground and their souls rose to the sky. What would happen now, I didn't know. I was 19 so I was bound to live on my own.

But there was still so much missing.

-✰𝕎𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝔽𝕖𝕝𝕝✰-

Returning home alone was an unfamiliar feeling. There were no signs of life. It was strange that just last week, I had been seated at the chair I now stared at with my parents. Mum was so energetic, singing and dancing, whilst of course, studying. Dad was mainly the chef of the house, creating meals from his family's famous recipe book.

But where was the cookbook? Their studies? Anything?

Finally coming to my senses, I dashed towards the kitchen. I just needed something to reassure me that my parents were still looking out for me, but I wouldn't look too far ahead. Just one simple step at a time. I switched on the light and began to scrutinise the retro kitchen. The blue walls represented the night sky and the light blue appliances meant happy emotion, according to dad, that was.

I looked in several cupboards, grasping at my memories trying to remember where it would be.

Under the sink.

Under the sink!
Dad had always kept it there saying that since the sink made things clean, the book would somehow stay clean too.

 I didn't know how but I trusted his word.
I opened the first page and there, scribbled hastily onto the page was something I had never seen before. I read the words and collapse down to the ground, tears cascading down my face.

For our dear Cassie, you must go on.

How-... what? That was never there before.

I'm all alone. But how...how could they know? 

After taking several deep breaths, I dried my tears and stood up.

I had acquired the cookbook, but it was still not enough. Where were their studies, their books?
My parents made notes and travelled a lot, sometimes even bringing me with them. They had to record their information somewhere. Surely, they didn't keep the knowledge in their heads?
Doubt crept in my mind as I left the kitchen and began to walk through the halls, it was probably about 12 am right now. However, I couldn't worry about that. My eyes settled on mum's dresser.
The amount of times we had played dress up together were uncountable but not one was forgotten.

-✰𝕎𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝔽𝕖𝕝𝕝✰-

By the time I had finished searching the room, it was 3 am.
Feeling tired and helpless, I removed my shoes, slid into my parents' bed and closed my eyes.

Keep searching.

I wake up drenched in sweat. Last night's sighting was incredibly strange, there were patches of memories.
But they weren't mine.
What was wrong? Normally, I would understand the dream, or it would help me in some way.

I tried recalling it, but it had vanished from my mind.

I've had strange dreams before but none like this. This was numb and dark. Dark but somehow meaningful.
I got out of the bed and walked to my own bedroom. It was based off the stars, the ceilings had constellations and so did the walls, which were black and dotted in stars. To the left was my desk and to the right was my bed that had my dreamcatcher lying peacefully above it.

I had always told my parents that one day I would build a study under the house so my work would be private and safe. They laughed and always muttered something back to each other. Something I'm now struggling to recall...

"That space might be a little occupied."
Occupied... Occupied. Occupied!
That means, there was something. How could I not know we had a basement?
I jumped up, ready to go down. It takes me a second to realise, we had no stairs leading downwards. In fact, we had no stairs leading upwards either. This was a bungalow.
I stood, thinking for a while. 

Explore.

Yes, I would explore the house I have lived in my entire life in hope that there were stairs in a random cupboard. Ultimate sarcasm. Congrats Cass.

Turns out, my sarcasm did help me. I explored the house and looked under some rugs.

That was when I spotted a hatch. The rug that I had just discarded behind me had literally never been moved before. Or so I thought.
Unsurprisingly, like many stories I've read, the hatch had a lock. Baffled, I stood up and walked towards the bathroom. I had college to go to and it wasn't going to come here. I stripped and left my clothes on the floor. I turn on the shower and let the water run before I did The Soldier's Leap inside. The warm water padded my skin and I grabbed all my needed necessities and used them quickly.

I stepped out of the bathroom refreshed and fully clothed.
Breakfast was something I never really did. Instead, I walked over to the living room and grab my bag.
Closing the door behind me, I exited the house and walked to my car. My parents' car where probably discarded somewhere, for it hadn't been brought back to the house.

Carefully following every driving rule, I had made it to Harper College in one piece.
I closed the car door and locked it before walking in to the modern building.

I was likeable but quite closed off. Keeping the secret of being Star-Gifted wasn't that hard. We weren't that special, or at least in my eyes. Sure, we used to be immortal but that all. It's gone now. The only special thing is probably the dreams, or perhaps it's the way we can make our eyes glow? Or maybe it's the fact that we have extra-ordinary knowledge on the stars and constellations, astronomy to be general.

Normally, anyone that was Star-Gifted lived a normal life. They normally stayed in, sort of, packs? Like the werewolf stories I read. They weren't all the same family, but normally there would be a kind of community. There were several across the world. I had seen one or two but that was mainly it.  Communities normally stayed in one area.

But it wasn't until Astronomy class that I was proved wrong...

-✰𝕎𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝔽𝕖𝕝𝕝✰-

We were revising some work that we had learned in the previous lesson for a good forty minutes until he walked in.

I had been peacefully reading over my notes, which were totally not needed, when the door burst open without any knocking.

Everyone looked up towards the door to see a young man. He was probably about the same age as me and he had platinum blonde hair and grey eyes. His body was muscular and boy was he dessert.

His eyes seemed to be searching for something. I followed his gaze around for a while before I noticed that they had settled on me.

For the star's sake, what now?

-✰𝕎𝕙𝕖𝕟 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕣𝕤 𝔽𝕖𝕝𝕝✰-