two; 570

two; 570

six feet under the stars {all time low}

"...i'll take you out though i'm hardly worth your time, in the cold you look so fierce but i'm warmin' up because the tension's like a fire..."

~~~

Chick's neon sign shone bright through the snow, illuminating the parking lot as they pulled into a space.

As soon as the engine was cut, Jamie exited quickly in a mad dash to get her favorite big booth, one big enough for the whole band. Ricky chuckled at his girlfriend's excitement, preferring to walk slower behind her.

Chris got out as well, Spencer following behind him.

"Woah!" He heard her yelp, and turned just in time to clumsily catch her as she lost her footing on a patch of ice.

"Hey there, careful!" Chris laughed, cheeks aflame. "You alright?"

"Y-yeah, I'm fine, thank you." Spencer said breathlessly, both of them realizing their proximity to one another at the same time. He helped her upright again, a rosy blush blooming on her face as he offered a hand for her to hold.

"Wouldn't want you to fall again," He mumbled, and Spencer's fingers curled around his, her hand soft and her rings cold against his skin.

The two picked their way across the slick parking lot, snow collecting on their shoulders. Chris opened the door for Spencer, her shy thank you making him grin.

The warmth of the diner washed over them, the smell of hot meals and the sounds of laughter and conversation filling the air.  Chris spotted his bandmates in a booth along with Jamie and Kylie, who beckoned them over with a smile.

"Hey, guys!" Vinny smiled, the youngest member of Motionless In White also the most energetic of them all.

"Hi, Vin." Chris grinned, sliding in next to Ryan, who was leafing through the menu with a focus more suited to a rocket scientist. Spencer sat down next to him, their shoulders brushing as she picked up a menu.

"Oh, guys, this is my roommate Spencer! I completely forgot to introduce you all to her." Jaime exclaimed, making Spencer blush and wave shyly.

"Hi, everyone." She said, earning hellos and warm smiles from the group.

"So, what do you do, Spencer?" Kylie asked kindly, and Spencer tapped her nails on the table before answering. "I'm a graphic designer for two clothing companies."

"Sick! Which ones?" Vinny cut in, and Spencer cast her eyes downward as if embarrassed. "Well, actually, I'm co-creative head for Primitive Skateboarding and part of the artist collective for Vans."

There were collective exclamations from everyone, no one expecting someone as unassuming as Spencer to be so high up in both brands.

"That's amazing! What do you design for them?" Ryan asked, and Spencer shrugged.

"Mostly shoes and clothes for Vans, but I do skate decks for Primitive as well as apparel."

"That's fuckin' sick." Vinny said very matter-of-factly, and Chris felt a stirring in his chest when Spencer smiled, a laugh slipping through her lips. "Thank you."

Their conversation was interrupted by a waitress, who took the table's orders, refilled drinks, and disappeared off to the kitchen.

Chris felt uncharacteristically quiet, preferring to listen more than he spoke tonight. He noticed that Spencer was a quiet one too, sipping her water and laughing along once in awhile with everyone else when Ryan and Vinny would bicker.

Soon enough the table was heaped with food, and Chris sighed as he bit into his burger. Nothing quite like hometown food. Spencer delicately picked at the basket of fries that he said he'd split with her, swirling them in the cup of ranch before eating them one at a time. She'd also ordered a strawberry shake, which was topped with whipped cream and a cherry.

"Hey, Spencer?" He asked, and she raised her green eyes to meet his brown eyes. "Yes?"

Chris had meant to ask her what she was doing after dinner, and whether or not she'd consider going with him to downtown Scranton for the festival of trees or some shit, but he choked for a moment before letting out a nervous laugh. "D-do you want my pickles? They put 'em on my burger even though I asked for them to be left off."

"Sure." She giggled, picking them off the side of his plate and popping them one by one into her mouth. Chris inwardly kicked himself, cursing himself for being so dumb.

Why's she so special, anyway? He thought, and resolved to at least ask for her number by the end of the night.

As dinner went on, Spencer offered Chris a sip of her shake, and even though he'd never really liked strawberry, it suddenly became his favorite flavor when Spencer asked him how he liked it. "So good," He grinned, and she smiled. "Right? Who even likes chocolate shakes anyways?"

"Hey!" Vinny griped from across the table, scooting his chocolate shake closer to him. Chris reveled in Spencer's laugh, the sound music to his ears. He was snapped out of his thoughts by a kick to his shin under the table, one that could have only come from Ricky. His best friend had a smirk on his face as he pulled out his phone, aiming it at Chris and Spencer.

"Do it for the gram!" He called, and Chris rolled his eyes as Spencer laughed. "Come on, Rick—" He tried to protest, but his friend waved him off. "Do it and you're cool!"

"Fine." Chris grumbled, and jokingly tossed an arm around Spencer's shoulders. After a second of shock, she leaned into his side, the back of her head against the front of his shoulder. "Cheeeeese." Ricky said, snapping a picture of the two.

"I bet I look terrible." Spencer groaned sarcastically, and Chris had to stop himself from correcting her.

Chris felt his phone buzz, and opened it to see a "Ricky's IPhone wants to share a photo" AirDrop message waiting for him. He pressed accept faster than he meant to, knowing full well that Ricky would be grinning smugly from across the table when he looked up.

If there was anyone who could read Chris, it was Ricky, and he knew exactly how Spencer was making Chris feel.

New IMessage from Rick

post it. you won't.

Chris sighed.

New IMessage from Chris

maybe later

Dinner drew to a close, and Chris reluctantly stood along with everyone else, already missing the feeling of Spencer against his side. The car ride was pleasantly quiet, and Ricky stepped out of the car to walk Jamie to the door when they arrived at Jamie and Spencer's apartment.

The cold wind was the type that took your breath away, and just before she stepped out into it, Chris put a hand on her forearm.

"Wait!" He said (a little too desperately), and Spencer turned back to him in surprise. "Can I have your number?"

Spencer smiled.