eleven; headache

eleven; headache

wait out the days {rocky votolato}

"...we'll wait out the days, wait out the days, til death comes to claim, anything that life didn't already take, you can wait out the days..."

~~~

The entire band had heard Chris and Spencer's fight, his voice too loud to hide in a bunk.

All of them either didn't look at him as he walked into the front lounge, or gave him sympathetic looks.

"Don't do that." He said, his voice hoarse from overuse, and Ricky sighed. "We all heard it, Chris. That sounded pretty fucking rough."

"It doesn't matter now," He said, and cast his eyes downward to hide the fact that they were red and puffy. "I think I fucked it up for good."

The show that night was hard. Chris thought of Spencer in every lyric he sang, nearly losing his composure during Another Life. Ricky shot him an alarmed sideways glance when he heard Chris's voice waver. That never happened. He took in a deep breath, the last lines of the song like daggers in his heart.

"I don't hate that I need you..." He almost cried out, his voice shaking. "I don't hate that I need you."

The crowd screamed with applause and chants, and Chris prayed to whatever entity above or below that no one saw the tear that slid down his cheek.

Ricky quickly saw what had happened, and spoke into his mic.

"Okay, we're gonna play a slower song now," He said, sending an SOS look to Ryan. His friend understood, and went to grab what Ricky called his "emergency guitar."

"And by we," Ricky said, pulling the strap of the black acoustic over his head, "I mean I."

The crowd erupted, and Chris sent him a silent thank you, his best friend's quick thinking saving him from a mental breakdown in front of a sold out crowd. Ryan pulled Chris off the stage, following Ghost and Vinny.

"Okay," Ghost said, "When Ricky's done, Vinny, I need you to get your ass out there and do a drum solo or some shit." Vinny's eyes went wide, mouth dropping open. "B-but I don't—"

"I believe in you, Vinny, I know you can do it. Just....please."

Vinny sighed, walking away and twirling his sticks nervously.

Ricky was singing, the crowd absolutely entranced by his voice as he played Wait Out The Days, one of his favorite songs. He was buying Chris time and everyone knew it, Vinny's drum solo about to give them two more minutes, if that.

"Okay," Ghost said, looking Chris dead in the eye. "What the fuck is going on with you?"

Chris broke then, tears pouring down his face. "I fucked up, Dev, I fucked up so bad!" He sobbed. "I ruined everything with Spencer, and I hate myself for it."

Ryan threw a sympathetic arm around his shoulders.

"We can fix this dude. You can fix this. I'm sure that Spencer misses you too. I bet she regrets what ever she said too."

Onstage, Vinny had started, the crowd going absolutely wild as he improvised. Ricky ran up to them, a look of alarm on his face when he saw Chris in a puddle of tears. "The hell did you say to him, Ghost?"

"He thinks that he ruined everything with Spencer, that he's lost her for good." Ghost said, and Ricky sighed.

"We gotta fix this shit, because, dude, you are in love with this girl."

Chris looked at him, watery eyed.

"Come on," He sighed, wiping at his eyes. "We have a show to finish."

He was Chris Motionless again, and he was pissed.

"I need all of you to get the fuck up, not a single fucking person standing still! This one's called Thoughts and Prayers!"