five; the rain

five; the rain

stay {post malone}

"...tell me that it's all okay, i've been waiting on this all damn day, call me in the morning, tell me how last night went, i'm here, but don't count on me to stay..."

~~~

Chris sat in the kitchen, a coffee mug in his hands. It was early, yes, but he enjoyed the silence. An icy rain fell outside the window, the early morning sky a gentle shade of grey.

He heard footsteps from behind him, and turned to see a bedraggled Spencer rubbing her eyes.

He pushed two ibuprofen and a glass of water towards her, already knowing she'd have a monster of a headache. "How ya feeling, drunky?" He grinned, and she sighed, blushing with embarrassment. "I've been better."

"Thank you," She said quietly, settling down at the table next to him. "You were a handful last night," He chuckled, and she huffed, rolling her eyes. "So Jamie's told me."

"Did you sleep okay?" He asked, and she shrugged. "Hard to say. I guess it was alright at first."

"Dreams?"

"...Yeah. Just one."

Chris gently set a hand on her upper back, rubbing it in circles, delighting in the way she visibly relaxed under his touch. He stiffened in shock when she gently took his other hand, twisting her fingers into his. He felt the warmth of her skin against his, the smell of her shampoo drifting into his nose. All he wanted was to be close to her, to work the knots from her muscles and to chase the distrust from her mind. He wanted to hold her in his arms, tell her it would all be okay.

He tilted his head down to meet her eyes, the stunning green rendering him speechless.

Chris shook himself out of the trance she'd so easily put him in, standing suddenly. "Can I make you coffee?" He stammered, and she let out a sigh. "Yes please."

She didn't disguise her disappointment well, clearly wishing he'd kept his hands on her.

"What is it about you?" She blurted suddenly, making Chris stop what he was doing.

"W-what?" He stuttered, and she stood, smoothing her hair nervously. "I just...I just can't figure you out! I'm a nervous fuckin' wreck all the time, and in 24 hours you've completely chilled me out. It's like you're magic or something! I can't—"

Chris cut her off by moving across the kitchen, placing a finger on her lips. She froze, eyes wide, deer in the headlights.

"Slow down, Spence," He said, "You gotta take a breath."

She let out a humorless laugh. "How am I supposed to do that with you this close to me?"

He knew it. He knew it. The tension, the glances, all of it, wasn't just in his head. She was just as flustered by him as he was by her. For the first time in a long time, Chris took a running leap of faith, hoping Spencer would be there to catch him.

His hands made their way to her jaw, cradling her face. Her hands gripped his wrists, eyes searching his face. As he drew closer, her eyes fluttered shut, black lashes resting against her cheekbones. Her breath washed over his face, he could practically feel her heartbeat, she—

The phone rang.

Holding back a frustrated groan, he dropped his hands from her face, ripping his phone off the counter. He didn't miss the way that she pressed her fingertips to her jawbone as he answered the phone.

"What?!" He snapped, turning his back to Spencer, who sat back down, her face pressed into her hands.

"Woah, dude, easy. I was just calling to see if I left my extra guitar strap at your place. The one I'm using right now is literally about to tear in half, and my backup backup one has a weird stain on it." Ricky said from the other end of the line, and Chris sighed heavily, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I can check, but Jesus, Rick, you have terrible fucking timing."

Ricky was quiet for a moment, and then gasped. "Oh, shit, were you and Spencer—"

"No," Chris grumbled, "But we might have if you didn't lose your guitar strap."

Ricky laughed, which made Chris roll his eyes. He would think this situation was funny. "Kay, well, I'll let you go. Good luck, Cerulli."

Chris sighed. "Later, asshole."

When he turned back around, he saw Spencer walking back to his bedroom. "Where ya going?" He asked, and she let out a small laugh. "As much as I hate to say it, I gotta go. I have a conference call in an hour. New collab for Primitive."

Chris groaned, throwing his head back dramatically. "Would it be horrible if I asked to see you tonight?"

"That depends," said Spencer, "You gonna finish what you started when I see you?"