seventeen

"Where are they?" Mike asked, glancing at the clock. The dance started at seven, but the party decided to arrive at seven thirty. Fashionably late.

It was now seven forty five.

"Don't worry, they'll be here," Dustin said with an eye roll. Mike had been complaining about the girls being late ever since they got there.

"What if they won't be? What if they decided not to come?" Mike asked.

"That's what she said," Max said. Mike whipped around to see Max standing with her hands on her hips next to the table.

"Where's (Y/n)?" Mike asked.

"In the bathroom. Let's go," Max said, dragging Lucas to the dance floor. With a huff, Mike sat down next to Dustin.

"Hey, Dustin right?" A girl asked, walking up to the table.

"Yeah," Dustin said with a smile.

"Wanna dance? The band should be playing soon," the girl said.

"Band?" Mike asked.

"Uh, yeah. That (Y/n) girl or whatever. Her band is playing here," the girl said.

"Okay," Dustin said, grabbing her hand and walking her to the dance floor.

"(Y/n)'s band is playing here? Why didn't she tell me?" Mike asked himself. He glanced over to the stage to see Rosie and Bella arguing over something, so he decided to go and see what was happening.

"You didn't tell her?" Bella shouted.

"I told Sammie to!"

"Well you know you can't trust her with anything! She doesn't have her bass!" Bella said angrily.

"Hey guys," Mike said awkwardly.

"Not now, Wheeler," Bella said, her tone unusually hostile.

"What's wrong?" Mike asked. Bella rolled her eyes and looked at him.

"Dumbass Rosie over here didn't tell (Y/n) that we're playing today. We're on in twenty minutes and we have no bassist," Bella explained.

"It's not my fault that Sammie forgot!" Rosie said defensively. Bella flicked Rosie's forehead before turning back to Mike.

"Where is she, anyway?" She asked.

"Max said she was in the bathroom," Mike said.

"Max Mayfield?" Rosie asked.

"Uh, yeah. Why?" Mike asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, uh, no reason," Rosie said.

"I heard she killed her brother," Bella said.

"Not true. I'll explain later. I'm gonna go find (Y/n)," Mike said, turning around. He ran into Steve, who was carrying (Y/n)'s bass.

"Woah, slow down there, Froggy. Here," Steve said, handing Bella the bass.

"Thank you," Bella said, passing the bass to Rosie, who ran to go find (Y/n).

"Where's my sister?" Steve asked.

"Uh.." Mike trailed off.

"Bella! Now!" Rosie said, grabbing Bella by the wrist and pulling her behind the stage.

Steve walked out of the gym and back to his car, leaving Mike alone. Suddenly, the lights in the gym dimmed and everyone cheered.

(Y/n) walked out first, and Mike was absolutely mesmerized. It was just like the first time he saw her. She awkwardly waved to the crowd. Mike could tell that she didn't want to do this. She wanted to be with her friends, having a good time.

Rosie, Bella, and Sammie followed her out, positive energy radiating between them.

-

After playing a few songs, (Y/n) was exhausted. They decided to cut their set short — they all just wanted to enjoy the dance.

(Y/n) sighed and walked off the stage, the crowd roaring with cheers. Mike was leaning against the wall next to the tables in the back.

She walked over to him. As she was walking over, it was like everything was in slow motion. Everyone else danced as (Y/n) and Mike made their way towards each other. It was like they were the only two people in the world.

"Hi," Mike said, absolutely smitten.

"Hi," (Y/n) replied with a light laugh.

"You look beautiful," Mike said. A light pink blush dusted his cheeks.

"Thank you," she replied, looking down at her hands. Mike noticed how tired she looked, how she was slightly slumped over and shifting the balance between her feet.

"Do you want to get out of here?" He asked. She eagerly nodded and glanced back over to the dance floor. The rest of the party was dancing and having a good time.

"Do you think they'll be mad?" She asked.

"No. They'll understand," Mike said eagerly. He grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the gym and out to the parking lot.

"How can we get home?" She asked.

"Walk, I guess," Mike said with a shrug.

"Well then," (Y/n) said, bending down and taking off her heels.

"You did great tonight," Mike said with a smile.

"Thanks. I feel like I did okay, considering it was a last minute thing," she rambled.

"You did amazing," Mike said. (Y/n) smiled and blushed. The two started walking towards Mike's house, hand in hand.

"What do you want to do when we get to your house?" She asked.

"I had a couple things in mind," Mike said with a smirk. (Y/n)'s eyes widened as Mike let out a breathy laugh.

"Sounds good to me," (Y/n) said, a smirk appearing on her face. The two rushed to Mike's house and immediately sped up to his room.

Then, things heated up quickly.