- 10 -

In the cafeteria, Luke tries to catch my eye, his blue gaze fixed intently on me as I try to eat my lunch. After three days of this endless cycle of him trying to get my attention and me pretending like I don't see him, I decide to eat in the library. He thankfully doesn't try to follow me there.

The bell rings and I gather my stuff and head outside. I sigh as I sit down in the little courtyard in the center of our school, pulling out a book. My free period always seemed dumb at times like these. But the weather is nice, so I don't mind.

"Hey."

I frown as Michael Clifford take a seat beside me, leaning back against the little tree the nature club planted in my freshman year. "What are you doing here?" I blurt.

He flashes me a crooked smile. "Can I not sit here with my friend of a friend?"

When he sees my face, he adds, "You know, I'm friends with Luke, you're friends with Luke."

I scowl, slamming my book shut loudly. "I am not friends with Luke."

Michael holds his hands up in surrender. "Ok, ok, you're not friends." He crosses his long legs beneath him, running his fingers through his red hair carefully. Sighing, he says, "Actually, I wanted to talk to you about something. I need advice. Girl advice. You're the closest thing I have to a girl friend."

I set my book off to the side. "What do you need advice on?"

"I'm kinda in love with this girl, but I messed things up. I messed up so bad, Emmy," Michael groans as he buries his head in his hands. "I accidentally made out with her sister and then broke up with her to cover it up, but I miss her so much." He glances up at me with sad green eyes. "I don't know what to do, Emmy."

"Can you not just tell her the truth?" I ask gently. " 'I know I messed up, but I love you and I don't know what else to do' ?"

Michael sighs again. "I don't know." He curses as he shakes his head. "She's gonna be so pissed."

I rest a hand on his arm. "Hey, it's going to be ok. You have nothing to lose by telling her the truth. Either she forgives you and you get back together... or she gets mad and you go back to how it is right now."

"I'm just... scared she's not going to forgive me," Michael says, locking eyes with me. "Have you ever been in love before, Emmy?"

I blush, my thoughts automatically straying to Luke despite everything that's happened between us. "No," I say, leaning back. "I can't say I have."

Michael's expression changes and he says in a quiet voice, "Listen, I don't know what happened between you and Luke, but there's something you should know-"

"I really should be going," I burst out, getting to my feet. I sling my bag over my shoulder, quickly backing up toward the door leading inside.

"Emmy-" Michael starts, stretching a hand out to me.

I cut him off. "Good luck with that girl, Michael."

The door slams shut behind me, a lock sliding into place. I'm not friends with Luke or his friends. As far as I'm concerned, I don't even know Luke. He's just a boy I pretended I knew. He's not looking for a girlfriend, he's looking for a hookup.

Still, part of me hurts with every day I force myself to stay away from him.

A/N: Hey guys, sorry it's been a while. I have a bad cold and it's just terrible. How have you all been? I just need it to be Christmas, like, right now. I need three weeks off of school. 

Love, peace, and chicken grease. 

I'm out.

- A