- 15 -

"Ethan asked me to homecoming last night!" Kayla squeals as I shut my locker. She hugs her books to her chest. "I'm so excited, but I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to wear. It has to be amazing, but not too amazing, because we get to go to prom this year! I can't believe it! I've been waiting to go to prom since second grade and now we finally can!!"

I tune her out as she goes on and on about where she's thinking of getting her dress. To be honest, I had forgotten all about homecoming and prom.

"What about you?" she asks me. "Are you going with anyone?"

I shrug. "I was actually thinking about not going this year. Dances are stupid."

Kayla frowns. She opens her mouth to argue, but she's cut off.

"Hey, Emmy, right?" someone says from behind me.

I whirl to see Noah, the guy from last night. Those cute dimples flash as he smiles at me, shyly running a hand through his curly hair.

"Noah?"

"I was wondering... do you maybe want to get coffee with me sometime?" Noah awkwardly adjusts his backpack over his shoulder.

My cheeks heat up as I stammer, "Y-Yes I would love to." 

Did he just ask me out??

Kayla watches the exchange with wide eyes.

Noah brightens at my answer. "Really?! Um, great! After school tomorrow? I can drive."

"Sounds good," I say with a small smile. He was cute and adorably shy, almost tripping over his feet as he backed up down the hallway.

"See you then!" Noah calls over his shoulder as he turns to head to class, almost running into someone. I laugh under my breath.

"What just happened?" Kayla demands, whirling on me. "Who was he? I didn't know you knew a hot guy who had a crush on you!"

"I met him last night-" I start, but a loud slamming sound jerks me from my thoughts.

I look up to see Luke storming towards me, his jaw clenched tightly. "Can I talk to you?" he says in a tight voice. Eyeing Kayla sharply, he adds, "Alone."

Taken aback by his harsh attitude, I can only stare at him in surprise.

"Uh, I'll catch you later, Emmy," Kayla says as she starts walking towards her next class.

Crossing my arms over my chest, I face Luke. "What is this all about?"

"I see your time to think things through is going great," he snaps bitterly, his eyes flickering towards the direction Noah disappeared in.

I curse under my breath. "Look, Luke, I didn't know he was going to ask me out, I hardly know him! It's not even a real date it's just coffee-"

"Of course it's a real fucking date!" he nearly shouts, causing everyone around us to jump. "Or at least that's what he thinks it is. But fine, go off with your new little boyfriend, Emmy, see what I care. It's not like we're exclusive or anything given that you can't even kiss me without running off."

I open my mouth to interrupt him, but he cuts me off with a glare.

"You said that I'm a player, that I run around breaking girls' hearts for fun. Well look who's the player now."

With that, he shoulders past me, stalking off.

"Luke!" I call after him, but he doesn't stop. "Luke, come on!"

As soon as he's out of sight, I whisper under my breath, "I'm sorry."

****

The bell rings to signal the end of the day. I bite my lip as I walk to the back entrance of the school where Noah told me to meet him for our "date". 

I push open the door, trying to block out memories of skipping class to meet Luke here.

Noah is leaning against his car, flipping his key ring around his finger absentmindedly. He breaks into a smile when he sees me, pushing off from the car. "Hey, Emmy!" he greets happily and I can't help but mirror his enthusiasm. "Ready to go?"

I nod.

A flash of black catches my attention. Luke scowls as he slams his car door shut, jamming his keys into the ignition and pulling out of the parking lot way faster than he probably should, his tires squealing against the pavement.

"You know him?" Noah asks, following my gaze.

I force a smile on my face. "You could say that."

I hop in his car, feeling a bit awkward as I buckled up. Did he really think this was a date? I just met him last night. He was only the boy that stopped a lacrosse ball from hitting me in the head. All I knew about him was that his name was Noah and he was on the lacrosse team. And apparently that Luke hated him.

"You don't have a boyfriend, do you?" Noah says a bit uncomfortably. "I kinda forgot to ask and it's a little bit weird to be taking another guy's girl out for coffee, ya know?"

I bite my lip again. Luke and I aren't dating, but my thoughts flash immediately to him. We never went on an actual date unless you count laser tagging. Sure, we've made out, but that doesn't mean he's mine. Especially when I keep telling him that I need space.

"No," I say. It's the truth. So why does it feel so wrong?

"Good," Noah says, interrupting my thoughts. "I'd hate to have some jealous boyfriend out to get me."

I smile, but there's a sinking feeling in my stomach that there may already be.

He pulls into a parking spot in front of my absolute favorite coffee shop. It's wedged in between a laundromat and a terrible Chinese restaurant that gave Natalie food poisoning. I love coming to the coffee shop and getting my homework done, or just reading a book.

Noah holds the door open for me like a perfect gentleman and I smile as I walk up to the register to order. Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea.

"You're a junior, right?" Noah asks as we sit down at a booth tucked near the back of the shop.

I nod.

"Cool, me too." He leans forward, a piece of his brown hair falling over his forehead. "Are you coming to our next lacrosse game? I wouldn't mind if you watched me play again," he adds with a soft smile that makes me blush.

"I don't know..." I hesitate.

Lacrosse means that Luke will be there and I'm not sure that I'm ready to face him just yet. Not after the conversation I had with him yesterday. He wasn't at his usual table at lunch today and I've barely seen him since he stormed away from me.

Noah reaches across the table and touches my hands gently with his. "It would mean a lot to me if you came. Besides, you look amazing under the stadium lights."

I look down at his hands still touching mine and he quickly moves them, blushing furiously. I'm sure my own face is just as red.

"Maybe," I say quietly. "It depends on what time the game is."

He brightens, some of the blush fading from his cheeks. "Great!"

A waitress brings us our coffee and I find it's not so bad sitting here with Noah, talking about pointless things that somehow feel like a big deal. For a weird sort-of-date, it was way better than I expected. 

A/N: I really like this story and it's finally starting to really speed up!

We're taking our midterms this week and everything's so stressful so I probably won't get the chance to update again until we're on break :(

If you like the story, please please please vote and comment for me!! <3

- A