- 36 -

The doctors say that most of the symptoms he's been experiencing are normal.

They don't say when he's going to wake up.

They don't say if he's ever going to wake up. It would be cruel to give us false hope.

I glance up as Calum walks in, pausing the meaningless sports game on the TV.

"Do you wanna go take a walk?" he asks. "Stretch your legs a little?"

"I'm fine," I say, returning my eyes to Luke. He still looks awful, like he's hours away from death.

I shiver at the thought, reaching over to absentmindedly adjust the blankets over his unconscious form.

"Come on, Emmy, you haven't left this room for nearly three days. Staring at him isn't going to fix anything."

"What if something changes and I'm not here?" I demand sharply, frustrated that he doesn't seem to understand. He of all people should know how I'm feeling. "Isn't that why Michael hasn't left this hospital since Luke got here?"

Calum's dark eyes shift to where the red-headed boy is fast asleep, his chin propped up on his hand. His expression changes, realizing how long it's been since he's seen him sleep.

"Michael has a lot going on," he mutters eventually.

"And I don't?" I throw back.

Calum frowns. "That wasn't what I meant."

He sighs, running a hand through his hair. "Michael... He's never handled stress well. He's used to shouldering it by himself since his parents are never really involved in his life. So that the people that are there for him... They're everything to him."

"And losing Natalie and Luke like this is messing with his head," I finish slowly.

He nods grimly.

"I'm still not leaving," I say after a minute. "Not until I know for sure that he's ok."

"Emmy..." Calum trails off, his expression pained.

I bite my lip, dropping my gaze. "I don't care what the doctors say, he's going to be ok. And until he's past the worst, I'm going to sit right here."

Understanding that there's nothing he can say to change my mind, Calum nods and pulls up a chair next to Luke. He looks absolutely exhausted.

"How's Luke's family doing?" I ask, fidgeting with my hands in my lap.

He shakes his head. "Not good. Ben's planning on flying out here next weekend and Liz has to force Jack to go to his classes instead of spending every minute here."

"And Liz?" I mumble.

Luke's mom was just how I expected her to be. No-nonsense, independent, loving. She came in and demanded straight-up answers from the doctors, not accepting anything less than definite responses.

But I could see how hard she was trying to keep it together when her blue eyes that looked so much like Luke's took in her son's motionless body.

"She... She'll be ok," Calum says firmly. "She's strong. She-she knows how to handle something like this."

"Because of Grace," I murmur, finally meeting his eyes.

His brows draw together in confusion. "How do you know about her?"

"Luke told me," I shrug.

A memory fights to the surface of my mind.

Other people whirl past us, couples laughing as they swing their hands back and forth between them, kids racing each other, parents yelling at them to be careful. But for a moment, it feels like it's just me and Luke, gliding across the rink with ease.

A perfect night, a perfect memory to hold on to once it was all gone.

It was first time he let me past all those walls he keeps up. The first time I got a true glimpse at the Luke he hid from the world.

The Luke I fell so madly in love with.

Swallowing to hold back the tears I can feel gathering in my ears, I clear my throat. "Where's Ashton?"

Ashton isn't doing much better than Michael, calling or texting every five minutes for any updates on Luke. The uncertainty is what is killing him the most, along with the guilt.

"I gave him an errand to run to take his mind off things," Calum explains, leaning back in his chair.

His eyes narrow at me, watching some new expression flicker across my face. "What about you?"

"What do you mean?" I say, knowing very well what he's asking.

"How are you holding up?

I shrug again. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine."

"Emmy, you of all people have the right to break. Despite all that's happened, you still feel something for him. Whatever hatred you feel toward him for lying to you can't stand in the way of him being hurt."

"Well it's not like it's something I can control!" I sigh, sitting back. "If I could walk home now without constantly being worried about what happens to him, don't you think I would?"

Calum looks away as if he can't bear to meet my gaze anymore, something like regret shining in his eyes.

"He really meant it, you know," he whispers.

"What?"

He glances up at me. "He meant it when he said he loved you. It may have started off as a game, but not anymore."

"And that makes things any clearer?" I demand, feeling like screaming. "He lied to me, Calum. Our entire relationship was built off of a lie. How can I act like it's not?"

Calum's quiet for a long time.

"And when he wakes up? What happens then?" His brown eyes watch me carefully, waiting for my answer.

My eyes travel to where Luke lies perfectly still.
Wordlessly, I slip my hand into his cold one, frowning. "We go back to our lives. The bet is over."

"But we're not."

I look at Calum in surprise.

"This isn't where the story ends," he says with more feeling.

I smile sadly at him. "It's where mine does."

A part of me will always love Luke Hemmings, but I know deep down that I have to let go, even if it kills me.

This is where we're meant to part ways. Him to his life, me to mine. This is where whatever fantasy we've been living in for the past month ends. It's time to return to reality.

A tear slips down my cheek as my hand falls away from his. 

A/N:

Is this the end of Luke and Emmy???

My updates may be a tad slower since I have a lot of schoolwork to keep up with, but I'll try my best :)

If you haven't already checked out my other stories, make sure to do that!!!

Vote and comment for me!!<33

- A