Chapter 1

The heat had already left his cheeks as he walked through the city with rapid steps. The cold rain, apart from soaking the city for days, it also greatly contributed to the feeling of coldness that crawled under the coats of passers. You could feel in the air that autumn had already occupied all the major strongholds of the city.

Driven by the cold, Mr. Morgan's pace accelerated, and the neon sign "Gray MagPie." was nearly in front of him. It was the local cafe where he finds his peace, feels safe and often, and as he used to say it was his muse.

Growing up in foster families after the death of his parents in a car accident, he moved often when he was a child, and because of that, this cafe meant more to him than he wanted to admit.
Today a business meeting with an old friend took him there, otherwise he would never leave his rented apartment and go out during this weather. Before entering the Gray MagPie, he closed the umbrella well soaked and shook it out of respect for the staff not to have to wipe the floor.
Right upon entering, he looked around, just to make sure everything is right place, his gaze was intercepted by a waiter, a younger boy who had only been employed here for a few months.

Hello, Mr. Morgan.
He couldn't hide a slight smile, perhaps because Morgan had never been a demanding guest since he had waited on his own during his college days.
Hi Mike, a beautiful day isn't it?
A rhetorical question, with a slice of sarcasm. A slight nod to the young waiter's head meant he understood and continued in a gentle voice that could sense the respect he had for Mr. Morgan.
You want your usual Mr. Morgan?
Yes, Mike, thank you.

Morgan was already moving toward the corner of the cafe, looking for a friend that invited him to come.
A bigger man, apparently in shape and not overly bulky was sitting at the window so he could look at everything that is going on in the cafe, but also outside the cafe as well.
Hey Lou, you look good.
Lou got up from the chair that if you ask him it could be a little wider, provide a "bear paw" with a sincere smile to his friend Morgan, and shook his hand.
He has always had gentlemanly manners since elementary school. The learned parents who gave him all they could and instilled in him a truly virtuous virtue.
Morgan, you are still wearing the trench coat like the failed private detective?
I see you still have a great eye for details, sorry Special Agent Lou. – they both smiled.
A handshake was not enough, and Lou pulled him in with ease and hugged him, gesturing with his hand to sit.

Since elementary school, Morgan had dreamed of being a journalist someday, not like those reporters who appear on TV at the same time every day and read pre-written sentences from the screen.
Morgan dreamed of being a field reporter, to be side by side with the emergency services, to listen the police radio, and be the first to report from the scene of an accident so that he could convey the situation in detail to people.
He wanted people to buy newspapers because of his stories, to feel excited while reading his article.
That was the reason why he enrolled in journalism after school while Lou headed in other direction.
Lou's father was a soldier, and he influenced his decisions, so Lou wanted in his heart and head only to be an FBI agent, and he devoted his entire life to it.
Thank you Morgan for coming in this crazy weather. I know it was sudden.
Mike just brought the usual, salted caramel cappuccino sprinkled with chocolate crumbs, Lou just followed with a chuckle and said: Very bold.

Morgan couldn't hide his smile. He asked him about his parents, and his sister, how's at work ...
Normal talk, but today Lou looked pretty nervous which was pretty weird because he was one of those people who knew how to calm every situation and always knew what to say and when to say it and when to keep quiet.
He was Morgan's biggest support after breaking up with a longtime girlfriend, it was a very difficult period in Morgan's life.
But with Lou's help, Morgan came out stronger than ever and finally quit as a permanent journalist at one of the largest news outlets in the city, he never felt satisfied with that job.
Journalism is no longer what it used to be. Nowadays, people scroll through newspapers with their finger on their cell phones and click on their computers, a very few if you don't count cafes buy newspapers, and news online is censured to the maximum.
There is far too little freedom left when writing articles.
In recent years, Morgan has been involved in freelance journalism as an independent journalist, and Lou helped him a lot at the time.
He gave him some information about the cases he worked on, but only so important that he was ahead of the competition but keeping himself out of trouble.

Lou what's wrong?
Morgan could no longer stand and watch his friend, who was growing more nervous as time went on.
Lou removed a folder from his briefcase and pushed it past a saucer containing an empty cup of once-hot salted caramel.
How familiar are you with the 'Dark Web, Morgan?'
Morgan was a little surprised with the question, though he knew there had to be something big about it, as soon as it made such an impression on Lou.
I've heard about it, but I've never visited.
There are allegedly illegal things, some uncensored videos that are not for everyone, as well as information about the government, politicians, various theories and conspiracies.
But why are you asking me that? What did you get yourself into? Is this a new case you're working on?

Morgan when you get home check on the Dark Web for any information about the disappearances, there is allegedly some government-sponsored experiment.
My partner detective Rupert, I told you about him, we were supposed to meet a few days ago, but he never showed up. He has been missing since. Just look for any information, you always had a flair for the story. I have to go Morgan. It's getting late.
Morgan said goodbye to an old friend and followed him with a glance as he walked away.
He had never seen Lou in this condition, but the very fact that the FBI Special Agent is asking about the "Dark Web" speaks to the seriousness of the situation.

Shortly after Lou left, Morgan paid and say bye to Mike and headed home to his rented apartment. Autumn rain still ruled the city.