Chapter 5

Mila as you already know, worked in a hospital in Donetsk, and because Alex was currently unemployed, Mila worked two jobs.

Every day before or after her shift she went on the other side of the town, 'cause she was taking care of war veteran and Ukrainian retired general Mykola Kobzarenko.
Mykola was 87 years old, his wife died 7 years ago, and his children lived in Harkiv.

They visited him once or twice every month, offered him to move in with them, or to go in a retirement home, money was no problem, since they all had good jobs, and Mykola received military pension, but he didn't want to hear about it, like he used to say " I'm too stubborn and to proud to leave my home, and I'll be here till the day I die".

His family respected his decision, but they couldn't move in with him, so they hired Mila to visit him every day, and to take care of him.

Since Mykola lived far from their home, Alex drove her there every day, and day by day, month after month Mykola and Mila become friends, and Alex sometimes go shopping for Mykola, and even did some maintenance around house.

Mykola often offered him some money, but Alex always refused it, sometimes Mila made something to eat, and all three of them eat together, and listen to Mykola's old stories.

One night after dinner, Mykola told them " I need to tell you something, but you can't tell anyone, something that will change your life".

Both Alex and Mila were speechless, they looked at each other, Mila looked at Alex with a sign of approval in her eyes, and he just said " what are you talking about mr Mykola?"

Mykola then tell them all about international program, based in Antartica, in wich he participated, and because he was one of the founders back in 1961 he recived a "gold ticket".

He can give it to anyone he want, but whoever he give it to, he or she must keep it a secret.

Mykola gave them few days to think about it, and, few days later Mila and Alex told him that they have decided to accept this opportunity.

How can we thank you Mykola? Alex asked him.

Mykola just said, you already thanked me by helping me last 3 years, and this is my way to say thank you, to both of you. I just hope that this will be a step forward in your life.

Ok, but we won't go as long as we can be by your side and help you, Mila said.

Mykola smiled and said I knew you won't leave and left me by myself.

Few months later Mykola passed away, and couple days after funeral, they packed and bought a plane tickets.

***

Caroline moved to Massachusetts, right after she finished high school, she was always crazy about computers, so she wanted to go to MIT, but  unfortunately  she didn't get in, like they said in MIT, she wasn't to good to them.But she didn't give up, she wanted to let them know they made a mistake, and in despite to them she dedicated her life to become famous,in one way or another. So Carol, after few failures to create something that will make her famous, she started to investigate Dark web, and at first tried to found some dirt about MIT, but couldn't find anything, everything there was by the book. Dark web made  quite an impression on her, and she continued to dig deeper, and deeper. Carol worked in a local  library, so when she wasn't online, she used every free moment to read about conspiracies, all kind of treaties, and eventually about Antarctic Treaty System signed back in 1961.

Caroline become obsessed with that, and at work she read about it, and after work she investigated about it on Dark web. Although Caroline was very beautiful, she wasn't in a relationship at the time, she just didn't care about that at the moment. One day, the usual day at work, a guy walked in library, at first Caroline didn't noticed him, she was deep in reading, and then guy coughed, and said Excuse me, can you help me?. Caroline looked at him, he had black leather jacket, and underneath white shirt, he was clean shaved, greet her with big smile, with shinning white teeth, warm brown eyes, and short military black haircut. She was very confused, she just lift her glasses, and put them on top of her curly blonde hair, looked him with her green eyes, and said Yes I'm Caroline, nice to meet you. Man laughed and said, I waned some help with the books, but since you said your name, I'm Jack, nice to meet you too.

Caroline blushed, and Jack just laughed, and said, well Caroline after you help me find a book I'm interested in, would you like to grab a cup of coffee with me? Caroline also smiled, sure Jack, I finish at 5.

Great, so please help me find my book, and I'll read it, and wait for you in cafe down the street, cafe Gray MagPie, you know where that is?
I sure do,Caroline said.

Ok , see you then, but I still need my book.

Sure thing Jack, what do you need?

I need something about  Antarctic Treaty System, do you have any?

Of course we do, I'll go get it, just wait here.

Tnx Caroline.

Few minutes later, Caroline returned with four books, Jack looked confused, Wow, that's sure a lot of books, he said.

Yes, I want to make sure you'll wait for me, Caroline smiled.Don't worry, I'll wait for you, see you.

It's a date Caroline said, and then blushed again, no, no I didn't mean it like that, I...

Jack laughed again, don't worry, see you at Gray MagPie, I'll be there waiting for you.