7: Second Year

A/N: Just a heads up, I do not own the song that the Sorting Hat sings in this chapter as I am a rubbish poet, I found it on Fanfiction.net and it was written by Parsley the Lion, who has very kindly written a book full of made-up Sorting Hat songs, and has allowed people to borrow them. All rights to the song belong to them.

Onto the story!

Malfoy stood behind the red-haired Prefect, smirking. "L/N attacked me." he said. "He said he'd break my wand if I didn't bow to him and his mu- to Granger."

"I wish I could say I was surprised." Percy said, with an air of authority. "What have you got to say for yourself L/N?"

Y/N looked Percy dead in the eye. "Three words. I regret nothing."

A look of glee flooded Percy's face. "Well, I'm afraid I'm going to have to take fifteen points from Gryffindor. It's such a pity we've had to lose points before we've even arrived. You must have set a record."

Y/N smiled. "Well then, that's a record that's about to be broken by your own flesh and blood."

"I'm sorry?"

Y/N spoke as bluntly as possible. "Your brother's using your dad's car to fly to Hogwarts."

Percy stared for a second, then laughed, it was an ugly, fake laugh. It sounded more like the Queen was choking on Neville's toad. Authoritative and forced.

"I can't say I know what you think you're blabbering about but you'll fail abysmally if you think you can fool me." he turned to leave the compartment. Before closing the door he turned again. "Oh yes, almost forgot, you'll be having a detention tomorrow night with Filch." he shut the door.

"Prat." Y/N whispered. Hermione nodded in agreement.

"He didn't even bother to think about what Malfoy was doing in our compartment in the first place!" she exclaimed angrily.

"It's just like him isn't it?" Y/N slumped back into his seat beside her. "He'll never wait for the full story. He doesn't care about rules or regulations. He only cares about how much power he can show he has."

Hermione reopened her book and grinned suddenly. "I can't wait to see the look on his face when he finds out you were right about Ron stealing the car."

She seemed to have forgotten that she was angry with them for stealing it in the first place.

* * *

When the Hogwarts Express finally reached a shuddering halt, all of the children raced out of their compartments at once, leaving their luggage behind and spilling out onto the open platform, shivering in the cold.

It was traditional for Hogwarts first years to travel across the lake to enter the caste, which was what they had done last time, this time however, Y/N and Hermione, along with the rest of the school apart from the new first years were seated in magicly pulled carriages, which whisked them off to the castle.

"Where's Coconut?" Y/N said through the crowd as he entered one of the carriages.

"I've got her." Neville said, joining him and Hermione, clutching a squirming Coconut.

Y/N noted that, even though the carriages seemed magically pulled, they moved in a rickety sort of motion, as if there was definitely something living that was pulling them, invisible horses maybe?

The carriages stopped moving just outside the stone steps that lead to the large oak front doors. As much as he hated to admit it, it was somewhat oddly joyful seeing the castle again.