16: The Rougue Bludger

After they had gotten the book from an extremely suspicious Madam Prince, the four of them barricaded themselves in Moaning Myrtle's out-of-order bathroom. Hermione had overridden Ron's objections by pointing out that it was the last place anyone in their right minds would go, so they were guaranteed some privacy. Moaning Myrtle was crying noisily in her cubicle, but they were ignoring her, and she them.

Hermione opened Moste Potente Potions carefully, and the three of them bent over the damp-spotted pages. It was clear from a glance why it belonged in the Restricted Section. Harry, Ron and Hermione winced at the sight of the gruesome images. Ron had eventually asked Y/N why he had been unfazed by them, to which Y/N responded by saying, "You lot are just weak."

"Here it is," said Hermione excitedly, as she found the page headed The Polyjuice Potion. It was decorated with drawings of people halfway through transforming into other people, Y/N had to admit that the artist had done a good job of perfectly scetching the pained facial expressions of the people drawn.

"This is the most complicated potion I've ever seen," he said, reading through the ingredients as they scanned the recipe. Hermione nodded.

"Lacewing flies, leeches, fluxweed and knot grass," she murmered, reading aloud. "Well, they're easy enough, they're in the student store cupboard, we can help ourselves. Oooh, look, powdered horn of a bicorn - don't know where we're going to get that... Shredded skin of a Boomslang - that'll be tricky too - and of course, a bit of whoever we're changing into."

"Excuse me?" said Ron sharply. "What d'you mean, a bit of whoever we're changing into? I'm drinking nothing with Crabbe's toenails in it..."

Hermione continued as if she hadn't heard him.

"We don't have to worry about that yet, though, because we add those bits last..."

Ron turned, speechless, to Harry, who seemed to have another worry, and spoke up.

"D'you realise how much we're going to have to steal Hermione? Shredded skin of a Boomslang, that's definitely not in the students' cupboard. What're we going to do, break into Snape's private stores? I don't know if this is a good idea."

Y/N narrowed his eyes as Hermione shut the book with a snap. "Wimp." he said.

"Well, if you two are going to chicken out, fine," Hermione said, adressing Harry and Ron. There were bright pink patches on her cheeks and her eyes were brighter than usual. "I don't want to break rules, you know. But Y/N would probably do so without a second thought, because neither of us think brewing a difficult potion is worse than threatening Muggle-borns. But if you two don't want to find out if it's Malfoy, then Y/N and I will do it ourselves..."

"I never thought I'd see the day when you'd be persuading us to break rules," said Ron. "All right, well do it. But no toenails, Okay?"

"How long will it take to make, anyway?" said Harry as Hermione, looking happier, opened the book again.

Y/N did a quick scan of the page. "A month. The fluxweed has got to picked at the full moon and the lacwings have to be stewed for twenty-one days."

"A month?" said Ron. "Malfoy could have attacked half the Muggle-borns in the school by then - ouch!"

He fell silent when Y/N had given his ear a sharp pinch. Rubbing it, Ron continued, "But it's the best plan we've got, so full steam ahead I say."

Y/N had to give Ron's ear another flick when he heard him tell Harry, "It'll be a lot less hassle if you can just knock Malfoy off his broom tomorrow."

* * *

On Saturday morning, the entire school were at the stands, cheering as the Gryffindor and Slytherin teams both emerged. Y/N, Ron and Hermione sat in their seats, watching anxiously as Flint and Wood shook hands, giving each other threatening stares and gripping rather harder than necessary.