32: The Love Of A Big Brother

Harry sprinted over to Ginny and dropped to his knees. "Ginny! Don't be dead! Please don't be dead!" he flung his wand aside, grabbed Ginny's shoulders and turned her over. Her face was white as marble.

From behind his pillar, Y/N was trying his best to break out of the body bind as he had done when he had been attacked by Lucius Malfoy. But his attempts were in vain. Even if he did manage to break out, it would take a lot of strain from his muscles as well as his mental strength, and would take far too long, leaving him not only too weak to help Harry, but with not enough time left to do so.

"Ginny, please wake up," Harry muttered desperately, shaking her. Ginny's head lolled hopelessly from side to side.

"She won't wake," called out Riddle.

Y/N couldn't see what was going on, but could hear every word.

"Tom - Tom Riddle?"

Riddle nodded, not taking his eyes of Harry's face.

"What d'you mean, she won't wake?" Harry said desperately. "She's not - she's not -?"

"She's still alive," said Riddle. "but only just."

"Are you a ghost?" said Harry, his voice confused and uncertain.

"A memory," said Riddle quietly. "Preserved in a diary for fifty years.

Their small conversation lasted some time, with Harry begging Riddle to help him. It took an annoyingly long time for Harry to realise that Riddle was a threat, he didn't even suspect anything when Riddle took his wand.

"I've waited a long time for this, Harry Potter," said Riddle. "For the chance to see you. To speak to you."

"Look," said Harry, sounding impatient. "I don't think you get it. We're in the Chamber of Secrets. We can talk later."

"We're going to talk now," said Riddle, and he pocketed Harry's wand.

Finally, Harry began to sound suspicious.

"How did Ginny get like this?" he asked slowly.

Riddle began to explain everything. How Ginny found the Diary at the beginning of  the year and had been confiding in it ever since. How Riddle listened to her worries and woes, much to his apparent boredom, nevertheless, he still responded to them, and treated Ginny like a friend.

And so, Ginny poured out her soul to the diary, making the entity living within it grow in stregnth, and slowly, Riddle began to possess her every now and again.

"What d'you mean?" said Harry.

"Haven't you guessed yet, Harry Potter?" said Riddle softly. "Ginny Weasley opened the Chamber of Secrets. She strangled the school roosters and daubed threatening messages on the walls. She set the serpent of Slytherin on four Mudbloods and the Squib's cat."

"No," whispered Harry.

Y/N, who was gritting his teeth in concentration, started to feel the bounds of the body bind break slightly.

"It took a very long time for stupid little Ginny to stop trusting her diary," said Riddle. "But she finally became suspicious and disposed of it, and a good thing too, for a certain little brat was starting to suspect her."

Harry smiled, knowing exactly who Riddle was talking about.

"And that's where you came in, Harry. You found it, and I couldn't have been more delighted. Of all the people who could have picked it up, it was you, one of the very people I was most anxious to meet, the second, of course, being Y/N L/N."