10. Murder or Suicide?

Hey guys! Just a heads up, this chapter mentions suicide a couple of times, so if you're triggered by it, I really apologise. You can skip it, however, it's nothing too serious or major. Still thought you should know!

***

Levi was sitting across from the group of friends, head rested on the sofa, staring at the mural painted on the ceiling, lost in the delicate brushstrokes and minute details. The room was doused in pin-drop silence, enabling Levi to hear the strong wind blowing outside, rustling the trees. They were all in the common room again, except this time, the melancholy melody floating through the air a few hours earlier was replaced with complete silence.  

Anthony, Carter, Emma, and Scarlett were all huddled together on the huge sofa by the fireplace, seeking comfort in each other. Emma stared into the crackling fire, eyes dry from the heat and intensity of it, but she didn’t look away. She was numb. Numb from the shock and sadness. 

Eric is dead… Emma felt the tears stinging her dry eyes, trying to keep them at bay. She had already cried too much, enough for a lifetime, actually. But he wanted to talk to me… so badly… Tears flooded her eyes, and without permission, flowed freely down her cheeks. She recalled how desperately he had wanted to talk to her, how much he had insisted. 

Emma felt heartbreak all over again, she had been such a fool. Why hadn’t she listened to him? Just because she was afraid to talk to him? Pathetic. Now he was gone... gone forever, and she would never know what he wanted to talk about. 

Emma let her tears flow, not even trying to stop the fresh ones attacking her eyes now. She broke down, giving in to her emotions and cried. Cried for Eric, for their friendship, and lastly… she cried for herself.

Scarlett felt Emma shaking beside her, soft sniffling noise filling the void. Is she crying? She thought with an empty feeling. Not again… Scarlett knew it was best to leave her alone right now, so she went back to staring outside the glass wall, the view which was so mesmerizing just a few hours ago looked creepy now. She kept her gaze fixed on the sky, waiting for the sun to come up. She was sick of waiting in the dark.

Levi closed his eyes for a bit, too tired to fight the sleep anymore. However, the detective in him couldn’t stop thinking about the previous night. He recalled the expressions and the body language of everyone, trying to find something. But what? He didn’t know. 

As soon as Levi had discovered the body and a very hysterical Emma, he had gone into autopilot, the shock only lasting a couple of seconds. He immediately noticed everybody who came in the hallway then, focusing his sharp eyes on them, observing their reactions. 

Scarlett and Anthony got out together, within only one second of each other. Both had stopped near the Christmas tree when their eyes first lay upon Emma hunching over a dead body. Levi saw how Anthony inhaled a sharp breath, steadying himself by gripping one fragile branch of the tree. The shock was apparent on his face as he stumbled, trying to regain his balance as he took in the dead face of his best friend. 

Scarlett, however, was completely stoic, her face void of any emotion as she saw the scene unfold in front of her. Levi saw her blinking rapidly as if not believing what she was saying, and then her attention had shifted towards Anthony, who had slowly sat down, his legs giving up and staring at the ground. 

Carter came a few seconds later, his hair a mess and hastily trying to tie the robe around him. As soon as he realized what had happened, his hand went limp by his sides, the robe loosening. His chest had started to rise and fall rapidly, his jaw clenched tightly, highlighting the strong jawline. His right hand instinctively shot up to his neck, caressing the skin where Levi could clearly see the bruises.