12. Of Lies and Betrayal

"Dad, why would you do this? What is the point in making Eric and me literally compete for the company?" Emma was shaking with anger, while desperately trying to make her father see some sense.

"It wasn't just my decision, Eric's father agrees too. It's just to ensure that it goes to whoever deserves it the most. And just between us dear... I don't think Eric is fit to take over the company," Emma's father put a sympathetic arm around his daughter, trying to calm her down.

Emma's face turned Red, but before she could say anything, her father's phone started ringing and gesturing that he'll be back in a few minutes, he was gone. Emma's resentment for her father only grew at this, even at this moment work came first for him.

As soon as her father left the dining room, Emma gestured wildly to her mother, "What the hell?" She shouted at her mother, hands flying to show her frustration. She started pacing the room erratically, trying to channel her irritation into the activity.

"You know he is right, your father. Eric is... well, he's too irresponsible, to put it mildly. That boy barely gets any time from partying around! I don't even know how you are still friends with him," Emma's mother stopped her by putting both her hands firmly on her shoulders, leading her to the sofa.

"Listen to me, Emma. Your father has invested a lot of blood and sweat into making the company what it is today," she breathed in deeply, "I cannot see it go into the hands of someone who's not even interested, okay? Please, promise me you'll try your best to own this company?"

"Mom, you don't understand-"

"Emma, please. I'm begging you. I-I don't know what I'd do if you don't inherit it. Please, for your parent's sake," her mother was desperate now, holding both of Emma's hand in her own, squeezing them. "Do anything you have to do to achieve it."

Emma looked at her mother's desperate eyes, her wrinkles had become more prominent, her usually red lips were almost bare of any color now, her statement diamond jewelry was replaced with elegant pearls now, giving her a more graceful appearance. Simply put, her mother was getting old. And she could not bear to make her upset.

But how could she tell her? Tell her that the decision was already made? The result of which didn't favor her at all. There were only two ways it could be reversed. One, that Eric gives it up himself, but why would he give up the rights to a multi-national business to anybody else?

And two, Eric dies and the company goes to her indefinitely, without question...

"Anything?" Emma asked her mother after much thought.

"Anything," her mother nodded, her smile wavering slightly.

Emma was in the common room, sitting by the fireplace, taking little comfort in feeling the warmth from the steaming mug of coffee in her hand. She had tried to sleep in her room, but couldn't. She couldn't even bear to be on the same floor, the Christmas tree haunted her whenever she passed by it, so she set up camp in the common room, away from the gut-wrenching memories.

She thought back to the conversation with her mother again, how funny is it, she thought bitterly, that Eric had to die for me to get the company, and now he is. Dead. She'll be the sole owner of the company in a matter of a few weeks, but at what cost?

"Hey, Emma! Just the person I was looking for," Levi startled Emma, making her bolt upright, the movement sloshing the scalding coffee on her hand, marking its territory there.

"You scared me," Emma said weakly, too tired to even muster her signature glare. The lack of sleep had her nerves on edge, even the slightest of movements made her jump. Just moments ago she was drinking her coffee and listening to the howling winds outside, when had Levi crept up on her? Surely, she must have heard him coming, right? What does he want though?