21. More Questions

"How do you know it's fake?!" Scarlett demanded, her voice hoarse and low.

Levi looked at her for a long time, making her queasy as the fire in her eyes died down and she shifted on her feet.

"It's too neat," Levi commented slowly, not sure if he really wanted to share anything.

"And what the hell is that supposed to mean?" Scarlett said, gritting her teeth. If she didn't get answers, and soon, then she would smash Levi's perfect face, knocking all of his teeth off.

"Wait-" Emma interrupted Scarlett. "If the letter is fake, then Carter didn't kill himself, which means..." she inhaled shakily.

"Which means the killer is still among us," Anthony mumbled to himself, eyes slightly wide.

"Naturally." Levi scoffed.

But everybody was too busy looking at Anthony, who had shifted to one corner of the room, near the door. He was leaning against the wall, arms crossed in front of him.

Scarlett and Emma continued to look at him even as he straightened and cleared his throat. They both didn't expect Anthony to speak up since he had been extremely quiet since Eric's death.

So when he did speak, it was like a shadow had spoken. And he might as well be one. Ever since Eric's untimely death, Anthony had been nothing but an empty vessel, a hollow shell.

Simply put, a ghost of a human.

When the words that Anthony spoke slowly sunk in, Scarlett's eyes widened in horror.

There is a killer among us.

She stared at Emma, her own face grief and horror-stricken.

"Great! This is just great!" Emma shouted, throwing her hands in frustration, slowly losing control of her emotions.

Levi sighed and squeezed his eyes shut. He didn't need any more drama than there already was. He turned to look at Carter's dead body again, eyes lingering on the hand dangling from under the sheet.

A shiver raced up his spine and he shuddered involuntarily.

Carter's death had taken a toll on Levi whether he admitted it or not. When he had first interrogated him, he saw turmoil and sadness swimming in his eyes. The hard lines on his face even though he was just 28.

Levi saw determination, he saw drive, he saw himself in Carter's eyes.

Running a hand through his hair, he turned to face Scarlett and Emma, their sight suddenly too irritating to handle.

"Idiots..." Levi muttered, shaking his head slightly. He was slightly disappointed nobody heard him say that.

Couldn't even figure out why the letter is fake.

With so many emotions surging through his body, he was primed and ready to launch some snarky remarks should the need arise.

Charlotte knew the moment when it got too much to handle for Levi. his left forefinger had started twitching furiously, which was his biggest tell even though Levi denying such a fact.

Charlotte felt her feet carry her forward before stopping behind Levi. "Let's go," she whispered. Levi didn't need to turn to tell who it was. He also didn't need to to be repeated twice.

"Yes, let's."

"Hey, you can't just leave like that!" Emma cried out.

Levi tilted his head, his glare intensifying as his eyes bore into Emma. "Watch me." He turned his back to her and started for the door.