Prologue

[Author's note: This is a book I wrote last year, and it hasn't been properly proofread.  If you notice any errors in the text, find anything confusing, or have suggestions, please feel free to let me know!  I also apologize if this prologue is short, and if any future chapters are as well. Thanks for reading!]

A black shadow peered through the trees, aware of all of his surroundings. His pelt prickled with unease and curiosity. The rumblerock ahead shook with large shiny objects that carried the no-furred creature inside.

"Ash! What are you doing so close to the edge? We can't risk any tamed cats seeing us!" A dark cat appeared behind him.

"Mud, I understand I shouldn't be here," The young black tom began, noticing something white in the corner of his eye. Turning his head, he gazed towards the direction the white came from. A white cat was sniffing the edge of the forest a little way off.

"Ash, you're the leader's successor! You should be back at cap !" The dark she-cat scolded. "We should be back at camp."

"I know. I am coming," Ash sighed, turning his head away from the white cat. "Let's go."

Mud led the way back to camp. It was full of movement, shadows darted around, kittens played in the clearing, and trainers trained with their pupils. Night glanced around from where he sat on the sharp rock.

"Look it's Ash!" A dark grey kitten squealed and trotted playfully in circles around him. More kittens joined in.

"Rock! River! Echo! Get out from under his paws!" A grey-and-black she-cat bowed her head. "Sorry, your highness." She bundled the kits away.

"I've been looking for you!" A deep voice yowled as paws landed in front of Ash. "I wanted to take you out." Night advised him.

"He was out at the edge. I apologize for my unawareness that he had gone out alone, Night," Mud bowed her head in shame and padded away. Ash felt a drop of rain soak through his fur and shook his pelt.

"Well, I expected more of you, Ash. Let's go," The large tom padded through the dark colored pelts until he reached the entrance. Night squeezed through the barrier made of thick brambles with vines that drooped in front. Ash followed.

It started to sprinkle rain, and then it stopped.

"I saw a white cat at the border," Ash commented. His pelt shook with anticipation to see the strange white cat again, something about it mystified him.

"We'll check it out," Night mewed before running ahead, his chin high. Ash wished he was as enthusiastic as his strong leader usually was. That would be a great quality to have. The dark tom didn't think he'd ever be enthusiastic again after the excruciating pain of his parents' crucial death.