Chapter 18

[Author's note: If you notice any errors in my writing, find something confusing, or have any suggestions, please feel free to let me know! Thanks for reading!]

Ash couldn't help feeling guilty. Flame was dead, Clay was dead, Sky was dead, and others were dead. It felt like his fault, like he could have prevented it if he hadn't taken Stream and tried to ask her if she'd be his mate. She hadn't answered him when they'd heard cries from back at camp. He loved Stream, she was so caring, for any cat. At least she was smart enough not to care for Blade, though. Any cat who had a heart for such an evil creature would have to be mentally crow brained.

The leader didn't remember where he was, but he could hear speaking in the distance. He slowly opened his eyes, taking in his surroundings. He saw a pile of glowing blue ashes and immediately remembered. Listening for the voices, he waited.

"Where could they have gone? It snowed so much it went up to my belly, and then they disappeared and a while after, the snow just- disappeared!" Ash recognized Forest's voice.

"Over here!" Ash called, instantly losing his strength once more.

Spider led a bunch of cats in the den. All of the Shadows had to have been there, accept for Moon.

"Thank you, Ash, Stream." The young she-cat, Storm, mewed.

"Really, you should be thanking Moon." Stream croaked.

Dusk sighed. "We have paid our respects to Moon. She is thanked by all. Now she can be with the Ancient Echoes," He tried to purr, but Zinnia glared at him.

"Let us take you two back home, and take care of you until you get better," Spider nodded and many cats began to lift Ash and Stream up.

It was a bumpy ride back home, Ash felt like he was going to slide off of his cats here and there. But finally they were escorted into the camp.

"Thank you all, how will I repay you?" The leader asked his Shadows.

"No need, we owe you our lives. If you'd have told us where you were going, we could have helped. Maybe helping you this way is our destiny, our way to repay you." Spider purred.

The cats sat around Ash and Stream as they lay in their nests.

"I have an announcement." Ash spoke confidently. "Sun will be my successor, in honor of his siblings."

Sun's depressed face suddenly smiled. He jumped up excitedly. "Thank you, Thank you! But what if you and Stream have a son?"

"He would be too young, but he could be your successor when I am gone." The leader purred happily.

Stream looked at Ash, embarrassed.

The tom was unsure of what to say, so he decided to ask the question that had been gnawing at his heart. "Stream, will you be my mate?"

The she-cat looked taken aback. "The danger is gone, that is what I wanted. Yes, Ash! Yes, I will! I love you."

"I love you, too."

The danger was gone. The Shadows shared equal rights among all shades. The cats were finally safe.

Distant red eyes watched from above the Shadows, from above the Ancient Echoes...Or were they watching from...below?