Chapter 7

[Author's note: If you notice any errors in my writing, find something confusing, or have any suggestions, please feel free to let me know! Thanks for reading!]

"Night, it has been a few days since the stand-outs left," Ash commented openly during their meeting.

"We are better off without them," Mud stated.

"Yeah, with the cold weather on the way, nights will be longer," Root agreed.

"Cats like Stream could blend in with the snow during the day or night, though," Ash argued.

"There are no more cats like Stream, Ash," Night growled a little. "You said it yourself, she fell into the river."

Stone shifted her paws. "There is a new kitten named Moon. She was born about twenty-one sunrises ago," The she-cat murmured.

"What did you say?!" Night yowled into the healer's face.

Branch stepped in front of Stone. "She said another white kitten was born," He lifted his chin high.

"And this white kitten will be old enough for training just after the cold season sets in!" Ash announced loudly.

"Ash. Please leave. It would be much easier for me to talk to them if you were out of my way," Night declared and stared hard at Ash.

"Bu-"

"Go." Night curled his tail around his paws.

"That is against our way of life. If you make him leave, I shall never refer to you as our leader again. These meetings must be held with the future leader. Not without them," Stone spoke up as Ash had turned to leave.

"Fine," Night sighed reluctantly, letting his breath go and laying down.

"I think this meeting is over, is it not?" Root looked at Mud and Ash before he padded out of the cave tunnel. Mud followed him.

Branch looked at Stone before he left as well.

"Thank you," Ash said to the healer.

She nodded and followed Branch. Now, Ash was left alone with Night.

"Ash. I fear you will take any chance you get in destroying me with the others. Please leave the Shadows, forever. If you return, I will have Mud slaughter you. Go- now." Night whispered as if he was saying goodbye forever.

Ash couldn't move. Fear pierced his heart for that split second before he broke the sudden silence by running out of the den, into the camp. All the cats looked at him as his face shone with shock and his eyes screamed with horror. He pelted out of camp and into the forest. He heard a couple cats hard on his paws, but he knew that talking to them would do no good, so he pelted on, until he was by the river.

"Ash! What's wrong?!" Branch called as he and Stone began catching up.

Ash looked back one last time before throwing himself in the river. Water splashed over his head as tried to pull himself against the current. A few tail lengths down, a large log stuck out from the other shore. Ash worked himself over to that side, before letting the water drag him to the log, where Stone and Branch could no longer see him. He climbed up, soaked and cold. He made his way over to the other side of the log and collapsed on the shore. The black cat decided he'd be fine if he slept there.

Strange dreams crowded the tom's mind as his eyes flickered while he slept. These dreams were old memories Ash feared would return to haunt him from events in the future.

A large noise in the black cat's ear woke him that morning. It croaked like a dying bug, except much louder. Ash dare turned his head to see a large toad behind him, croaking away. Ash jumped as the toad leaped over him. Slimy creatures...

Sunlight barely shone over the horizon behind the trees. Birds chirped countlessly among the forest. The river gurgled next to him, rushing past like a pack of dogs chasing a rabbit, the grass being trampled as they pass.

Ash began to make his way down the river side, staying far away from the raging water. He didn't know where he was going to go, but he knew that if he wasn't welcome back in camp, he wasn't welcome in the territory, let alone being seen by a patrol.

The forest on this side began to break down into large and sharp rocks. His feet were being pricked at constantly, and the smooth rocks scraped his paws up. The sun started rising higher in the sky as he trotted on.

As he came to a small stream that broke off from the river, he bent down and lapped up some water. Then he pressed one paw at a time into the icy water, cooling the aching pads of his feet. Then he stepped over, and in between the noise of the river and his pawsteps, he heard voices. The moment he heard them, he didn't.

The curious black tom caught a flash of white in his eyes, and suddenly got excited. Then he blinked and it was gone. He must be seeing things. Then he heard the voices again, much louder this time. He wasn't hearing things, he knew there were voices.

"Stream!" He called.

Suddenly Ash saw a clowder of cats, and they all turned and looked at him. Ash stood still for a moment, watching the white she-cat intently, until she broke the stare as she darted over to the edge of the river. Ash shot straight to the very edge of the shore, light tears leaking from his eyes.

"Ash, Ash, Ash, Ash!" Stream cried out.

Ash took no longer, bundling up his weight as he leaped across the river. The river had thinned out as he was following it, but he just noticed.

"Stream!" Ash yowled with happiness as he rolled into her, plowing her over.

"Ash!" Stream began to purr and the two forgot about the other stand-outs as they slowly caught up to the white she-cat.

"Ash! We're so glad to see you!" Clay screeched, followed by Tiger and Storm.

"Greetings, Ash," Spider commented as he and Flame padded up.

"Why were you on the other side of the river?" Rain asked.

"Oh- Uh... It's a long story," The black tom meowed, unsure of whether to tell them or not.

The white she-cat stepped forward. "We will listen. There is time."

"Oh, well- okay. I tried to tell Night that change can be good, and... The other cats tried to help me. Then Night asked me to leave, and they told him it wasn't right. Root called off the meeting, and as I was leaving, Night told me to leave, and he put a death threat on me." Ash explained as simply as he could.

The stand-outs' eyes filled with sympathy, but there was something else in Stream's. Ash couldn't decipher the look in her eyes- there was sympathy- but something else. Anger- yes- but something bigger.

Stream stepped forward, and Ash realized it was determination that kept her fur flat and her paws firm.

"I have a plan," The she-cat announced.