Disturbed

Shen Wei

A week came by and I haven't seen Zhao Yunlan anywhere. Maybe I was just a mommentary distraction and he had his fun. How irresponsible and childish. Well, I did eat for free that one time but even that felt humiliating. I was certainly surprised at myself when I found myself looking for the frivolous man amongst the crowd the next day. How foolish of me and... strange...?

What an even greater shock when I had exited my appartment a week later, only to stare face-to-face with him. At first, I panicked inside. What does he want from me? How did he manage to find me? Is he a stalker? Why is that silly expression plastered all over his face while he's holding his arms above his head in a gesture trying to show he's of no harm to me. At this point, it hardly mattered whether he was wielding a weapon or tried to show he's harmless, the whole situation could alarm anyone.

Before I could come up with a single word, Zhao Yunlan, started to speak quickly.

"Hey, Shen Wei!"

Such familiarity, I didn't remember ever getting so friendly with this chaotic stranger.

"So... This is TOTALLY a coincidence, okay?"

Like I would be that foolish to believe that.

"I just moved to the appartment accross from you. Funny, right?"

More like highly disturbing.

"Well, I guess it was PARTLY a coincidence."

Okay, here comes a ridiculous explanation...

"So I was shown maybe five appartments? I did see the nametag with your name over there and I remembered you, I definitely DIDN'T KNOW it was you, okay? But it may have played a part in me choosing this place...?"

I watched him nervously scratch his head. He was obviously now waiting for me to react. Whether I believed his story or not, however, at that point seemed already useless. I turned on my heal and started to walk through the hallway. As expected, soon I could hear fast strides catching up to me.

"It's a pleasant coincidence, right?"

How obnoxious.

"I wouldn't call it that," I refuted. Neither pleasant, nor a coincidence. "However, I guess, it is a fact I will have to learn to live with. I doubt you will go search for a different appartment, even if I asked you to."

"Right?" The tone of his voice sounded too cheerfull which was what made me look at him. He was grinning like a little child, I sure didn't see why he should be so confident about stalking someone. But his smile felt too bright, so somehow my reason weakened slightly. It was true, I haven't felt any malicious intent comming from this person. To not be affected by the silly grin, I looked away, descending the stairs, yet he kept up with me. I wondered how long will he keep on folowing me.

"Where are you headed? Not that I want to know, just making small talk..." he added quickly.

If you don't want to know, don't ask, I thought with a sigh.

"I can give you a lift, you going to do your touring?" he offered, shamelessly not giving me any space to ignore him.

"No. Thank you." I declined, already getting tired of the meaningless conversation. Noticing him still following me all the way to the parking lot, even though finally silent, I stopped. I turned to him, noticing an innocent smile painted on his face again. I didn't say anything, he was more the one that should do some explaining.

After a few seconds of my pressuring silence, he averted his gaze to the side, laughing nervously. "S-so... I guess, I will... see you around?"

"Sure, we are neighbours now," I stated the obvious.