Coldplay

Shen Wei

I close the door behind myself, breathing out deeply. What was I doing? I should have been happy this whole ordeal had ended when Zhao Yunlan woke up alright. Yet, I endulged him by agreeing to meet? I was dead tired staying mostly awake throughout the night, sometimes falling asleep sitting on the couch, then quickly going to check on his breathing if everything is okay. Apparently, I had had not enough of this person so far.

After taking a shower, I brushed my teeth and changed into a fresh set of clothes. Looking at the time, I decided to eat something on the way and headed out of my appartment. I wasn't exactly listening, but I could hear shower running in the appartment next door.

I headed out through the hallway when I noticed two people heading my way. One of them was a young man, maybe a high school or a fresh college student? With shorter light brown hair, a mischievous smile, white T-shirt and jeans with braces with tucked up ends. He was dressed rather childishly but moved with confidence. Next to him, there was a rather dangerously looking man with long hair and dark Lennon-styled sun glasses.

I passed by them, nodding as a greeting, only getting a salute as a response from the younger one. When I glanced back, I saw them ranging the doorbell at Zhao Yunlan's place.

Thinking about what might Zhao Yunlan have in common with this missmatched duo and that I actually know very little about my relentless pursuer, I headed to work.

* * *

At lunchtime, I received a message from Zhao Yunlan with the address of a small, traditional restaurant. Honestly, I felt relieved. The surely fancy and quite modern place I was taken to the last time didn't sit with me well. I admit, the untidiness of my company might have played a huge part. Somehow, I felt that in a smaller restaurant, it would feel more natural with the always slouching, never-caring-about-etiquette sort of man.

When I arrived, Zhao Yunlan had already been waiting for me, sitting crossed legged by a short table, on one of the wooden platforms, placed on both sides of the small dining area. He was already drinking his tea and enthusiastically waved at me when I entered, like I wouldn't be able to pinpoint him immediately when there were only maybe three other people in the room.

I sat down on a pillow accross from him and right away, I got a lecture about what noodles I am supposed to order. I wondered, how he could know so much about local food when it was him who didn't eat anything during the last couple of days and as I've recollected, he himself hadn't arrived much earlier. But I could see how he might have come here two or tree times before, as this restaurant was very convieniently only one bus stop away from our appartment building.

To sate the need to give good advice of my companion, I chose according to the slightly bizzare advice I was given, hoping the cook actually knows what they're doing. A very old lady brought me my tea. Along the way, I was slightly afraid she might spill it and had to hold myself down to not help her when I saw her wobble around with our dishes. But she was obviously proud of the fact she could still work at her age, so not helping seemed like the actual good deed. Over my right shoulder I noticed a cook of similar age manning the pots. They should certainly get their grandchildren to help out...

"What about a drink, Shen Wei? Won't you have one with me?" I looked up from my bowl, only to see Zhao Yunlan push his unfinished food away.

I sighed. "You were sick from not eating enough. You should finish that. No drinking."

"What? But I ordered nothing spicy just like you instructed but it's SO bland!" Zhao Yunlan pouted at me like a little child. He probably thought, he could get away with anything.

To not get affected, I avoided his dog-like stare and focused back on my own portion. "Bland is the best for your stomach. Eat." I was certainly glad, the owner seemed to have troubles with hearing, I could imagine anyone not liking their food being called "bland".

After a few moments of silence, however, I was forced to look up into the mischievious smile of the man opposite to me. He was as usual, quite comfortable sprawled on the table, elbow rested on it, his right cheek in his palm. He was staring at me from quite a close distance and I had no idea what was going through that crazy head of his.

My eyes darted to the side, than met his again. The unwavering gaze started to make me feel slightly flustered. Okay, I should probably say something... "You... you're here because of work?"

"He nodded, still looking at me intensely. "Double work, actually."

"So I guess, you normally live in the mainland? I noticed, you don't know much Japanese..." I kept the questions going.

"Normally... heh... yeah, normally I do."

What was that supposed to mean? If you don't want to talk about something, just don't talk about it. I must have frowned because he chuckled. "Work is a boring theme, don't you think? Ask me about my hobbies!"

Such a silly topic. Like two teenagers. "Sure, what are your hobbies, then?"

"Riding a bike and taking beauties out to eat," he grinned.

I blinked a few times. I didn't see such a direct approach comming. I mean, sure, I had my doubts but... was it a joke or was he seriously... His expression could have indicated both ways. Yet, in these parts of the world, such "jokes" wouldn't be often played off well so maybe he was serious? And if he were serious, how would I feel about that?

He winked at me with a smirk, probably noticing my surprised expression. This was something I needed more time to think about, besides we'd known each other for barely two weeks, met only a few times and there was so little we knew about each other that he certainly couldn't be waiting for an answer from me. The most probable meaning of that statement was to make me realize, he WAS interested in me that way.

So I decided to take the advantage of pretending to dismiss the silly comment and evaded any sort of reaction. "The job that you do here now... are those two I saw in the building today your collegues? The man with long hair and the college student with cat-like behaviour?"

Zhao Yunlan paused for a moment, than laughed. "Your description is SO accurate! What, are you jealous, Xiao Wei?"

A missplaced pet name and answering question with another question. Zhao Yunlan was showing off that the both of us can play this game. But why would his job be a secret? Does he do something he cannot talk about? Something either too embarrassing or illegal? First of all, what could be too embarrassing for this man, I couldn't even imagine. So illegal? Given the designer clothes, though worn in an untidy fashion, he doesn't have a shortage of money. And his job probably needs him to dress and act in a cool and aloof way? I see him do nothing much during the day. He's interested in me, so he's probably gay... oh, maybe he is in the red light district bussiness?!

 oh, maybe he is in the red light district bussiness?!