PART 3

KATNISS' P.O.V

        I paused near the fence, looking back into the Seam. I could barely see the outlines of the nearest buildings as I started to climb between the wires in the fence. I wasn't even sure why I decided to come out here- I realy needed my sleep for the reaping. However, I knew that sleep wouldn't come easily, but in the hour I spent in my bed, worries about tomorrow flooded my mind. Maybe the quiet sounds of nature would calm me. 

        I walked into the woods, heading to find my bow. Even though I didn't plan on using it, it was comforting to have it against me, with the arrows draped over my back. I remember when my father would take me out here, teaching me how to shoot. Maybe that's why I came here, so I could remember my fathers strength. He always made me feel safe, unlike my mother. I know I shouldn't have been so tough on her when he died. But Prim and I depended on her, and she just abandoned us. She left us to starve! 

        If Prim hadn't been there, I think I would have left District Twelve all together, but Prim would never survive. The first-and last- time I took Prim past the fence, I tried to show her how to hunt, However, when she saw the bleeding animal, she had a panic attack and tried to save it. Besides that though, Prim would never leave our mother. Not even after we almost starved to death.

        As I picked up the bow and arrows from their hiding places, I wondered if I could leave. I would have to take Gale, of course, along with his family and Prim. He always says we could make it, but I was doubtful. If we got caught, we would without doubt get severely punished. Probably publicly whipped, or worse, turned into an Avox. I would risk that for myself maybe, but not for Prim or Gale.

        I neared the lake where the katniss grew and smiled, remembering my father first took me here. I had so many good memories here, but think about them too much made me feel... Empty. I looked into the crystal clear water, sticking my hands in and rippling it, letting the coolness seep into my bones.

        That's when I heard the CRRRAAACKK of a twig snapping in the distance. I froze, listening to the creature that was moving in my direction. I picked up my bow, my stomach growling.

        I listened even closer now, trying to pinpoint the location of the animal. It was not the gracefull footsteps of a deer, nor the earthly sounds of the rare moose. This was something different, but I'm sure Greasy Sae would make a good stew from it. I finally could hear exactly where the footsteps were coming from and drew an arrow. I saw a flash of color between some leaves and let the arrow fly, sure of its target.

        "AAARRRRRGGGGG!" the creature cried out, falling to the ground. I felt my breaths quicken as I neared the dead figure. It was not a moose. It was not a deer. It was a human. Not just any human, but a peacekeeper, with an arrow through its eye.