PART 4

KATNISS' P.O.V

        My entire body shook and I couldn't take my eyes off of the dead peacekeeper, his eyes dull and emotionless. How could this have happened? The peacekeepers never went out at night and were supposed to always wear their masks. Blood rushed through my head and and I briefly wondered, Why would a peacekeeper come out into the woods?

        I didn't have time to think about it though, hearing more voices all around me and instinctively running, only catching some words and phrases from the other peacekeepers. 

                "OH MY GOD!!! HE'S BEEN SHOT!"

                 "IS HE BREATHING!?"

                "CALL IN BACKUP! SOMEONE'S OUT HERE!"

                "SPLIT UP! WE HAVE TO FIND WHOEVER DID THIS!"

                "I THINK I SEE HER!" 

        This drove me to run even faster, my feet flying across the familiar woods. I could barely hear the sounds of gunshots over my own beating heart. I threw my bow over my back, knowing that I would have to take it back home. If I even got that far.

I have never been so scared in my life. My whole body was shaking and I knew that if I stopped moving, my body would be paralyzed in fear. My feet hit the ground like mini-earthquakes, the force running up my legs. I couldn't stop running though- they would kill me. 

        The peacekeepers' steady running soon caught up to me, reminding me that I needed to get back home right now. What if they followed me? I couldn't worry about that yet, not until I was back in the safety of District Twelve. 

        I slowed down for half a second as the familiar fence entered my view. I quickly sped up, knowing that I was almost safe, almost back to Twelve. 

                "QUICKLY! SHE'S ALMOST TO THE FENCE!"

        Bullets still whizzed by my head, alerting me that I needed to jump. I didn't have time to climb through the fence-  I needed to dive. 

        I paused for just a second before diving through a space in the fence. I screamed in pain as my hand brushed against a wire- sending electricity through my arm. I flew to the ground,skidding to a halt. I felt dazed as my hand began to slightly twitch. I risked a look at my hand and wrist, feeling like I was about to vomit. The tips of my fingers were cut open and blistering, along with my entire arm. I couldn't move my hand, I could barely concentrate. I felt my eyes begin to close, looking at my surroundings one last time, unable to remember where I was. The fence was far away, but just in front of it were robots- no, peacekeepers. That's when it clicked.

         I tried to stand, dizziness invading my head just from moving up to my hand and knees. I felt more twitching as I tried to regain my balance enough to stand completely, tears of pain burning my eyes. The world suddenly fell to its side, or was it me, as I felt more pain in my rib cage. I felt my face being shoved into the dirt, suffocating me. Someone put all of their weight on my back and arms, keeping me completely still, my bow digging into me. Another set of hands grabbed my legs, paralyzing me. I screamed, desperately trying to escape the burning grips. In response, one of the peacekeepers dug his nails into my burning hand. My body lurched forwards, resulting in me screaming even more. 

        I felt a prick of pain in my leg, going straight through my tight jeans. It became a dull pain in a matter of seconds. 

                "She should be completely unconscious in a few seconds," 

        I immediately felt the effects of whatever they injected into me. I tried to fight it, but all I managed was to end up in an even more uncomfortable position in the dirt. I let out one last scream before letting the darkness wash over my mind.