PART 5

KATNISS' P.O.V.

The next think I know, I'm staring up at the purple sky. Just past the trees, I could see the faint orange glow of the sun rising past the horizon. Its only then that I realize I am next to the fence, not in my bed where I fell asleep. How did I get here?

I attempted to stand up, but as soon as I put weight on my hand, searing pain shot up my arm into my neck. My entire body began to shake once I looked at my hand. I couldn't take my eyes off it; it was almost entirly black, except for the areas of raw flesh on my upper arm. I could barely keep my breathing steady as I gently tugged my jacket over it, causing a burning sensation every time the rough fabric touched the skin.

I cried out in agaony as I forced myself to begin walking towards my home. I glanced back at the fence, freezing when I heard a slight buzzing sound coming from nearby. No, the fence is never on at this time... why would it be on now? That's when I remembered. I couldn't think straight at all, there is no way I killed a peacekeeper last night!!!

But there was no other explanation. It made perfect sense that they anticipated me going back to the fence and turning it on, but how could I have shot a peacekeeper, another person, without realizing it was not an animal?

************************************

I glanced around nervously as I neared my home. The sun was finally in the sky and people were heading down to the mines. I tried to stay in the few shadows between the building, hoping not to be seen. I ran the last few minutes to the house, trying not to move my arm, which still stung when the leather rubbed up against it. I tugged down at it once more as I opened the rusty door, not expecting to be thrown off my weight by an 80 pound little girl.

"Katniss!" She shrieked, a smile on her face. For her sake, I tried not to wince too much as she wrapped one of her hands around my burned wrist and dragged me into the kitchen. "Where were you? I was so worried something happened last night," It wasn't until then that I noticed her eyes. They lacked their usual childlike glow and were bloodshot. Before I had a chance to try her face, whick had tears on it, my mother walked in, her lips pressed into a small line.

"Prim, go get a bath on for your sister please," my mother spoke quietly, her gaze not moving away from me. Prim scurried off, obviously not wanting to hear us fight. I didn't want to argue in front of her, but it was inevitable. I challenged my mothers stare, until it finally shifted down towards my injured hand, her eyes widening.

"Katniss!" She rushed over, a suddenly urgent look on her face. It caught me so off guard that I didn't move away as she grabbed my wrist, resulting in me screaming in pain. "What did you do?" She nearly shouted, looking from my electrified arm to my face, the gears in her mind spinning.

"The fence was on last night and I bumped into it. I didn't wake up until this morning." I mumbled, trying not to meet her motherly stare. I can't let her find out the truth, she and Prim will be in even more danger. "Just don't tell Prim, okay. She will be even more terrified than she already is," I mumbled, hurrying off to go take a quick bath.

"Let me just get you some medicine, I'm sure that I have the right herbs around here somewhere..." She rushed to the cabinet as I continued towards the bath, where I heard a soft voice singing. Although my little sister didn't believe me, her voice was like an angel.

Deep in the meadow, under the willow,

A bed of grass, a soft green pillow,

Lay down your head, and close your sleepy eyes,

And when again they open, the sun will rise.

(From The Huger Games by Suzanne Collins)

By the time she finished the last verse, I was close to tears. That lullaby meant so much to me, and the thought that I may never see it again scares me. What would happen if I was caught by the Capitol? Surely I would be locked away, turned into an Avox, or worse, killed.

There is only one thing I can do, but even that puts everyone at risk. My mother, sister, and even the district are now in danger, all because of me.