Prologue

Flashback
Mystic Falls, 1864

Third person p.o.v
Arabella Salvatore sat on the couch of her home. She knew of her father's wishes to kill all the vampires in Mystic Falls. Arabella was slightly worried for her friend, Katherine Pierce. She knew of her being a vampire but Arabella didn't care. Katherine was kind to her, in ways that she wasn't to others. So the young Salvatore was thinking of a plan to protect her friend until she walked in.

Katherine looked at Arabella with a rare genuine smile, "What are you thinking about, Bella?"

"How to protect you from my father," Arabella replied with a sad tone.

Katherine then went to sit next to Arabella and grabbed her hand. She started rubbing soothing circles on them while Arabella put her head on her shoulder. Just like they have since Katherine came into town.

"You don't have to worry about me, I can take care of myself. It's you I'm worried about, Bella. If your father finds out you have been friends with vampires and didn't turn them in, I'm afraid he'll hurt you more than he has already." Katherine replies with worry laced in her voice.

It's true. The Salvatores' father was a drunk and when he drank... he tended to get a little violent. Especially with Damon and Arabella. As long as he didn't hurt Stefan.

"I don't care what he'll do to me. I just don't want my father to harm you, Kat. You're important to me," The Salvatore said, upset by the thought that she wasn't supposed to be friends with Katherine.

Katherine looked at her friend with sympathy. She looked so heartbroken. Arabella was the only person Katherine cared about, that one person she would give her own life to protect.

"Listen to me, whatever happens to me happens, okay? Just stay out of it. I heard that the council might round up the vampires and put them in the tomb. I don't want anything to happen to you. I don't want you hurt." Katherine says as tears come to her eyes.

Arabella is silent for a while, considering if what she was thinking was what she really wanted.

"Well then turn me," Arabella said so quietly that even with her vampire hearing, Katherine had to lean in to hear.

"What?! Absolutely not! Being a vampire is a burden and I don't want to put that on you," Katherine says as she stands up abruptly from the couch.

"I can protect myself. This is my choice, my decision. If I'm going to be turned by anyone, I want it to be by you. Please, Kat. For me?" Arabella pleaded to Katherine with tears in her eyes as well.

"Are you sure?" Katherine asked quietly.

"Yes, I'm positive," Arabella says as she looks into Katherine's eyes. All Katherine saw in her eyes was hope. Hope that she would do this for her, and that was what broke her.

"Ok, come here," Katherine says as she goes back to her spot on the couch.

"Thank you for doing this, Kat." Arabella says, facing Katherine.

"Of course, now drink my blood," Katherine said. She bit into her wrist and offered it to Arabella, who took it and brought it to her mouth. Once she had enough, she pulled away and put her head into Katherine's lap. Katherine started playing with Arabella's hair, this position being normal for them.

"See you soon, little bird," Katherine whispered as she snapped her neck.