6. The Descent

2.12
Present
Mystic Falls

Third person p.o.v.
Arabella was awoken by the sound of people talking. She groaned into her pillow and sat up. She rubbed her eyes and got up from her bed. She changed into casual clothes and walked down the stairs to see Elena at the bottom of the steps talking to Damon.

"The wolf bite caused some kind of infection. It's getting worse." Damon said looking to the side.

"Like poison?" Elena asks, trying to get a better understanding.

"I don't know, Elena. I'm not an expert in the field." Damon says.

Arabella walks fully to the bottom, until the two lovebirds see her. Elena smiles a small smile and looks back at Damon.

"I'm sorry." Elena says looking at him sympathetically.

"Death happens. We come, we go. Sooner she dies, the better. It's gloomy as hell in here. So, the both of you. Babysitting duty." Damon then walks away from the two girls. They both knew that Damon was pretending to not care. That's what they were worried about.

•••••

"I hate this." Rose said as Elena helped her into bed.

"Oh, same." Elena looked at Arabella with an eyebrow raised.

"What? I hate this." Arabella decided she was going to tell the truth today. Someone once told her that setting little goals for everyday helps you decide what you should do.

"I'm a vampire. I haven't had a cold in 5 centuries." Rose said as she sat in the bed and she looked miserable.

"Just get in bed." Elena said to her.

"We don't get sick. When we die, it's fast and sudden. And it's certainly not drawn out with an illness." Rose said as Elena tucked her in.

"Your not going to die." This time Arabella raised an eyebrow at Elena. Elena ignored her, choosing to see the bright side. Well, guess what, Elena? Not everything is so bright.

"Such a human thing to say." Arabella said as she rolled her eyes. Elena started to look around the bedroom.

"You've never been in Damon's room before, have you?" Elena ignores Rose and grabs a book from Damon's nightstand. She scoffs and puts it down.

"Not what you expected?" Rose asks again.

"It's just a room with a bed. Maybe I expected there to be silk sheets." Elena says moving the blankets.

Rose laughs. "You're lucky, you know. No one's ever loved me the way you're loved. Both of you."

"I doubt that." Elena said.

"Trevor was my best friend. Nothing more. I spent all those years in the run from Elijah. I just never thought it was a gods idea to set up roots. The whole idea of a family is not exactly compatible with being a vampire." Rose looks at Elena, but she looks away. "Why are you so eager to give up?"

"I'm not giving up on anything. Here." Elena says as she gives Rose a cup of blood.

"What do you call this whole deal with Elijah?" Rose asked.