25. Dangerous Liaisons

3.14
Present
Mystic Falls

Third person p.o.v.
"It was their mother Esther who was sealed in that coffin." Elena informs the Salvatores.

Arabella nods along with her words. "Yeah, Rebekah called me last night. She told me about Esther being alive."

Stefan frowned. "Esther? As in the Original Witch you told me about?"

"What? How is she even alive? I thought her hybrid freak show of a son ripped her heart out a thousand years ago." Damon asked.

Elena sighs. "I don't know. I'm guessing she has a couple of connections in the witching community. Elijah said that she wants to live in peace with her family, including Klaus."

"She was supposed to be the weapon to help us kill Klaus." Stefan looked at everyone in the room, noticing his sister's conflicted face.

"Yeah, well, not anymore. At least, not according to Elijah." Elena leans against her kitchen counter.

"That coffin was the only thing stopping Klaus from tearing us to shreds." Stefan points out. "You know, besides the other obvious reason."

Everyone's gaze turned to Arabella, who looked at them like an innocent deer in the headlights.

"What?"

Damon smiled at his sister. "Looks like you're the only thing keeping us safe now."

Arabella glared at him. "Hilarious."

Stefan rolled his eyes at his siblings. "What matters is that we've lost our only advantage against these people..."

"Anyone else feeling a little used right now...?" Damon asks as he stares into space.

"Look, Elijah promised me that his family wouldn't hurt any of us." Elena was interrupted by the sound of her doorbell.

Arabella looked at Elena expectantly to answer her door. The doppelgänger locked eyes with Damon.

"I believe him."

Arabella groaned as she got up from her chair. "I guess I'll get it. It's probably Bucky anyway."

Stefan met her gaze. "How can a dog press a doorbell?"

"Rebekah was supposed to drop him off."

Elena's eyes widened. "No, I got it!"

Arabella shook her head. "Already walking to the door."

"Arabella!"

"Getting closer."

Elena followed the girl as they fought over who would turn the handle.

"I got it. It's my house."

"You're already handling enough. Just let me do this, Elena."

"I got it. Really."

Arabella's playful gaze turned into a glare.