Wattpad Original
There are 8 more free parts

Nine - "Choices."

Mom, Dad, and I are sitting around the dinner table, an awkward silence blanketing us.

I poke around the food on my plate, not having much of an appetite. I don't think it's because of mom's spaghetti (which is an understatement because let's face it, her cooking sucks). Dad isn't even eating much of his food either. He's just mindlessly twirling the spaghetti around his fork, not bothering to eat it. Mom sits beside him, quietly slurping away, but I can tell her mind is elsewhere. She seems to be looking at the wall, pretending to inspect one of the French paintings she bought last spring.

The tension in our family is too overwhelming. It pours into the air, crackling with strain and anger.

I can't do this. I can't sit down with my parents and pretend that everything's okay. Pretend that I haven't just learnt our family company is on the verge of bankruptcy. Pretend that I haven't just been offered a deal to help my parents. Pretend that I haven't just signed three years of my life away to be engaged to Daniel Kerrington.

Releasing a slow breath, I push the plate away, and place my handkerchief next to it. "I'm going to bed. Good night." I greet with a false smile.

My dad's lips twitch. "No, sit down." He points his finger downwards at the table.

My eyes challenge him. "I'm not hungry. And I'm exhausted."

"Alexandria." He clenches his jaw tightly.

I almost laugh. "What do you want?"

He places his fork down, his eyes completely trained at me. "Please, Alexandria. We need to talk." The tension in his jaw doesn't ease.

I fold my arms over my chest, leaning against my chair. "Haven't we done that enough already?" I can't help but say that with a bit of a slight edge to my voice.

Mom decides to join in our pleasant conversation. "Alex, don't behave like this."

"Behave like what, mom?" I start to get really mad. I bolt out of my chair. "Be how you want me to be? I did what the both of you asked. I acted rationally. I saved the company for god's sake, even if it meant sacrificing three years of my life for it. So instead of trying to give me a lecture about my behaviour, you should probably thank me for saving both of your asses."

My parents' stunned faces greet me.

This is the only time that I have manage to completely silence them.

"Alexandria-" My dad starts off.

I thrust my hand out to stop him from talking. "No. Don't you dare 'Alexandria' me."

My mom slaps her hand on the table, her anger reflecting mine.

"Alex, can you stop being so stubborn for one second and let us talk?" She says, hard and stern. I shrug. "I know you're mad at your father and I, but just bear with us, okay? Can you please do that for the both of us? Please?" Her tone hints of desperation.

Shamefully, I slide back into my seat, avoiding both their gazes.

"Good," My dad comments. "I know the whole thing with Mr. Kerrington has been quite a surprise. Your mother and I are still quite overwhelmed by all of this."

"Why didn't you tell me?" The question slips out of my mouth. "Why didn't you tell me the company was having financial issues? When did this even happen, anyway?" Mom sighs. She attempts to reach over the table and touch my hand, but I recoil.

"I'm sorry." She murmurs shamefully, cheeks turning pink.

"It was my idea in the first place," Dad cuts in. "I didn't want to overwhelm you."