Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Ten - "Sweetheart."

[Back to Alex's POV]

The next day, everything goes back to normal.

Well, except for me that is.

Ever since I cut off ties with my parents, I feel... different. I don't know. It's weird. My heart feels lighter than before, but I'm not sure if its a good feeling.

I know what I did to them was harsh and wrong on so many levels, but I know that I needed to do what I did. It is time I separated myself from my parents for a while. They betrayed my trust, and I can't forgive them. Not yet anyway.

After my parents realised that I left yesterday morning without telling them, they went ballistic on me. They attacked my phone, calling me and sending me messages. At one point, it had gotten really annoying. So, I stopped checking my phone after a while.

I don't think that will end very well.

I'm hoping that if I ignore them enough, they'll get the message that I just don't want to talk to them. I don't think they're used to me standing my ground on things so they probably assume that this will blow over soon enough.

But it won't. I won't let it. I'll never let them get used to taking so much out of me like that.

They really crossed the line with the engagement. And I doubt my relationship with my parents will ever go back to the way that it used to be before yesterday.

"Are you sure you want to go to class?" Cara asks me for the thousandth time today.

"Cara, I'm not going to break," I inform her, tugging on my sling bag.

We're standing in the hallway, the very one leading to my class. I notice some people give us wary looks, seeing as how we're standing smack in the middle, blocking their route. Cara runs her fingers through her blonde hair and pouts.

"I know you're tough as a nail," She says, "But I'm just worried about you."

After what happened yesterday, Cara has been constantly up in my ass. She's always asking me if I'm alright or if I feel the need to rest. I get that she's coming from a good place, but I hope she knows that yesterday will never happen again.

I poured out too many tears to be crying again anytime soon.

What happened yesterday was a moment of weakness. I keep telling myself that I am going to overcome this bump on the road, no matter what.

"You sure you're okay?" Her eyes search mine.

"Thanks, mom." I attempt at a laugh. "I'm fine, really."

She bites her lips and smiles. "I know you're not, but I'm going to pretend to believe you anyway. For your sake."

Cara knows me all too well.

"You're the best," I wrap my arms around her and we hug.

She pulls back and eyes the classroom. "If Daniel gives you any trouble..."

Cara knows everything that happened last weekend. She knows about my parents' company being bankrupt and the fake engagement with Daniel. At first she was dead furious at me for agreeing to the contract in the first place. But she knew I wouldn't change my mind about it.

I laugh. "I can handle him. I think."

Cara starts to walk away. "If you can't, just leave him to me."

"What the hell are you going to do? Eye him to death?"

"You got any better ideas?" She shoots back.