The Big Day- Part 1

Chapter 3

Aminah stared at the missed call. She lay in her bed in confusion, it was an unknown caller. She wouldn't dare return the call. It was too late, almost 2am. Her parents would wake up. She went to bed that night, thinking who it could have been.

NIKKAH DAY

Aminah woke to a sudden buzzing noise in her ear. Feeling groggy, she tried moving away from the noise, but it continued. Understanding dawned on her, as she realized it was her phone. She grabbed it and saw there were two missed calls and a message. But it wasn't the same number as the previous night. She checked the message. -A NEW POSTING – OFFER- the message read.

Hope filled Aminahs heart. Could it really be? Aminah thought excited. After weeks of applying for jobs and going for a few interviews, Aminah finally got an offer. It was from a fashion design company, they had wanted an intern in university originally, but they accepted her application. And now she had the job. She called the company and accepted the offer. She was so happy. All she could say was "Alhamdulillah". Now she could finally make a career for herself. Finally have a purpose in life. Aminah had been feeling depressed these past few months. She would lay awake at night wondering what her future held.

As she thought of her future, her eyes fell on her ring, and she felt uneasy. How could she go and work? Her parents hadn't even known she had applied nor did her soon to be husband. How could she hide this? But she would be moving soon ? there was no way she could give up this dream job. What should I do? Aminah thought.

Aminah was pacing around her room, trying to figure out what was happening. When her mom entered her room and interrupted her thoughts.

"Why are you standing there, get ready. It's your big day. It's finally here. Have you forgotten?" said her mom with a huge smile on her face.

"Of course I remember, what time are we leaving?"Aminah whispered, trying her hardest to hide the disappointment from her voice.

"The nikkah ceremony is at 2:00, we must leave by 12:30. So get ready, your father and I are ready!" her mom said excitedly.

Two hours later Aminah was ready. The makeup lady kept insisting to put more highlighter but Aminah kept shoving her hand away. Finally giving up she left, but Aminah heard her sneer something about spoiled foreign kids in her heavy Indian accent.

As their car drove past millions of trees, Aminah felt like running into those woods and disappearing forever. The masjid where the Nikkah was being held was an hour away. But they arrived in what felt like 10 minutes. Life felt a little like the car ride, short and too hard to catch up to. As their destination came into view Aminah felt nauseous.

Aminah was so nervous she tripped over her own feet, while entering the sister's side of the masjid. Few people were in attendance, as they wanted to keep the Nikkah ceremony as private as possible.

Aminah looked up dazed. It was the second time he said it. Understanding downed on Aminah as she understood the Imam was asking of her approval. Aminah held her breath, could feel everyone's eyes on her, her hands felt sweaty and her body felt hot. She had to say something, Aminah took a deep breath-

To be Continued........