Chapter 7 - Curiosity Can Kill

The remaining classes of the day grew progressively worse for Izuku. English was fine, for the most part, but after that Sharanga grew restless. History was rough, and Izuku actually had to leave class during Math so Sharanga could settle down a little bit. The rest of the day didn't improve, despite the breather. But of course, you can never say things can't get worse.

Several members of the class wanted to get to know Izuku better, and tried to approach him after classes.

A yellow haired boy, which Izuku now knew was Kaminari, courtesy of everyone repeating their places from the quirk test out loud, approached Izuku, and extended his had.

"Yo, Shaga! The other guys and I were planning on hanging out in town for a bit, get to know each other a bit. You wanna come?"

The very overexcited Mina had the same question/request. Both looked at Izuku very expectantly.

"S-sorry... I have th-things to do. Gotta g-go bye!" Izuku turned and tried his hardest to not start sprinting immediately. Sharanga was barely contained anymore, and it could slip out at any moment.

If only getting away was easy.

As soon as Izuku half-ran out the door, Mina got a spark in her eyes.

"No." Iida said. "We are not spying on him. Shaga deserves as much privacy as we do."

"But I didn't...how did you know?" Mina whined.

"Gut feeling." Iida replied.

Unseen by either of them, someone had slipped out to spy on Izuku.

Hagakure was great at being quiet. Her quirk mad it a necessity, because what use was invisibility if one sounds like a truck when running around. She silently followed Izuku through a busy area of town, and then into a rougher neighborhood. He started looking around. Hagakure hid behind a nearby wall, peeking with only her head and hand exposed.

And she gasped at what she saw next.

- Izuku POV -
-15 seconds earlier-

Izuku checked around for onlookers.

"I sense something nearby." Sharanga said, urgently. "It is watching us."

"It's probably a rat. I don't see anyone." Izuku said, quietly. "And I don't think either of us can wait anymore." With that, he allowed Sharanga out. And they both heard a loud gasp. Izuku vanished in an instant, and Hagakure jumped. Then, Izuku appeared right behind her, with Sharanga snaring her, pinned her back to the wall she was hiding behind a moment earlier. Eri followed behind, scared and confused into silence.

"Ow! Stop! What's going on?" Hagakure squirmed in Sharanga's grip. She was getting looser, but Sharanga noticed this and grilled tighter.

"Oh no... No.... Dammit!" Izuku stomped. "I'm such an idiot!"

If Sharanga wasn't busy pinning Hagakure and seething internally, it would have given Izuku the 'I told you so' look.

"Shaga? What's this? Why are you doing this?"

Izuku seemingly didn't hear her. He was slapping himself and shaking his head progressively more and more wildly.

"Silence, whelp." Sharanga hissed. "You cannot be left alive, now that you've seen us." It readied a sharp appendage, and leveled it as close to Hagakure's neck as it could assume.

"Wait!" Izuku almost shrieked, coming out of his daze. "You can't hurt her! She's a classmate!"

"She is a liability! A threat!" Sharanga said, strongly. "We need to eliminate her, before she compromises us! It followed this with a look that said "and you know what that means for Eri, too" ,opting to keep that part quiet.

"Compromise? What does he mean?" Hagakure trembled.

"But we can't kill her and vanish! If we do that we'd end up compromised anyways!" Izuku countered, desperation hinting in his voice.

"We can't trust her! She knows too much!" Sharanga insisted.

"It's the most we can do! We don't have any better options!" Izuku said. "Just, don't do this!"

Hagakure was crying. The shouting match between the quirk pinning her down and Shaga was confusing, but she knew that her life rested in Shaga's ability to get his quirk to relax. Eri began tearing up watching her.

"No one will know if we kill her now! There's no one else in sight!" Sharanga insisted.

Izuku grit his teeth, and used his last logic.

"She has the UA uniform, and she is in the database. We are literally the only dangerous person around, and villain related civilian deaths are a thing of the past here, so no other conclusion could be drawn. Then, it would be obvious that we killed her. Plus, I can't keep my cool at all. The second this comes up in school, we both know I'll be sweating bullets. That's a giveaway right there, and we will be through. And lastly, you know Eri hates the scent of blood, and will be crying and sobbing for the entire week and getting nightmares again, so we won't be able to do our job! So let her go, because it's the least terrible option we have got!" He ended, almost shouting.

Hagakure mentally crossed her fingers that it was enough. She didn't think Shaga had anything else to say.

A minute passed. Then 2 more. And right as Hagakure was writing off her existence, Sharanga relented under the silent stare of Izuku, and the teary look of Eri.

"Fine." It hissed. "The whelp lives."

Eri ran up to Hagakure.

"Miss Toru. You can't tell anyone about Sharanga, please. It's a secret, big brother didn't want anyone to know. Please? Please don't tell." She pleased, her eyes already watering again.

"I don't get it... Why would he keep this second quirk a secret?" Hagakure asked. Eri looked down. "Big brother doesn't want anyone to see him use that quirk... Because it looks bad... And because people would know who he is..."

Hagakure paused, before her mind caught up. Reports of a dark creature I a bad neighborhood that committed brutal acts of vigilantism every night. Survivors said it had a raspy voice, and no eyes. "Shaga is... Shadow Weaver?"

Eri raised an eyebrow. "No! Big brother isn't named..." She stopped suddenly, and turned to Izuku.

Izuku was still in a glaring contest with Sharanga, and didn't notice the exchange.

Hagakure meanwhile dismissed Eri's last statement as her referring to Izuku by his first name. After all, Izuku did the same to her, because they were family.

Several minutes later, Izuku and Sharanga stopped staring each other down, and turned to Hagakure.

"Don't tell anyone, got it." A dangerous tone crept into Izuku's voice. "This cannot get to a hero's ears. Please." His tone became worried, almost.

"Get out of here, whelp, while you can. If we learn that you did tell anyone..." It left off at that. Hagakure could fill in the blank. It was painfully obvious. So she ran away, and bumped into an elderly lady.

"Oh dear. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, are you ok?" She helped the lady up, berating herself for not paying attention.

"I'm ok, dear. But you look like you saw a monster. You must have seen Shadow Weaver. He usually doesn't patrol this early, though." The lady said. "He's harmless, and the best thing that ever happened around here. Sorry if he scared you."

"What do you mean?" Hagakure asked, suddenly intrigued.

"No heros visit these dirty, run down towns. Shadow Weaver fills I. For them around here. I haven't had villain issues since he started patrolling the area. It's ready a wonderful thing." The lady explained.

Hagakure nodded slowly. Things made more sense suddenly.

"I see. Oops, look at the time, I gotta get home. Goodbye, miss!" She turned and jogged off. Deep down she was ready desperate to not make Shaga mad by hanging around. But she couldn't just blurt that out, or he might get mad anyways. Fortunately, she could think it over in the privacy of her own home.