- i don't like her: part two - mw

this is set in between season two, episode nine: the gate, and season three, episode one: suzie, do you copy?

summary; mike realises he messed up with y/n and he wants to make amends with her, as she wants to become acquaintances with a certain girl.

word count: 770

. . .

mike paced back and forth in his basement, mumbling nonsense to himself about how he screwed up, el had already left, either due to jealously or curfew, no one really knew.

"mike, just sit down and breathe." dustin patted the seat next to him.

"i-i can't, dustin." mike stuttered.

"i really messed up."

"yeah, you did."

"i should have just told her."

"yes, you should have."

"max! shut up! you're not helping!" mike yelled.

max raises her hands in surrender.

"i have an idea." will spoke quietly from his seat.

mike's head shot up.

"what!" mike turned to face his friend. "what idea?"

"just apologise, it's not that hard. she obviously likes you too, mike, i wouldn't worry about it." will twiddles his thumbs.

""not that hard"?" mike sighs. "wouldn't worry about it"?"

a dry laugh escapes mike's throat.

"no offense, will, but you have no idea what i'm going through." mike throws his hands in the air.

"sorry-" will mutters.

"no, no, don't apologise, will. mike, he's right, just apologise, dude." lucas joins in.

"shit," mike covers his face with his hands. "i'm sorry, will. it's just..." mike tries to find the right words, as he sits next to will. "y/n means a lot to me, and i have a good chance at messing our whole relationship up, and i don't want to lose her."

"mike, seriously, it's fine. i'll help you look for y/n." a small smile on plastered on will's face.

"thanks, byers. that means a lot to me." mike nudges the young cleric.

"cool, so that's settled." max stands up. "i'll go with lucas and dustin to check on el before she kills anybody."

"deal." mike and will leave the basement to look for y/n, as dustin, lucas and max go to check on eleven.

. . .

"coming!"

the door to the hopper cabin opens revealing eleven.

"what are you doing here?" el glares at the person in front of her.

"i want to make amends." y/n speaks.

""a-amends"?" el questions. "is that some kind of threat?"

"n-no! god, no! amends... it means that i want to fix this hatred we have towards each other." y/n doesn't dare to make eye contact with eleven. "it means that i want to be friends with you... o-or even acquaintances. either one's-"

el pulls y/n into a hug, her arms wrapping around her waist.

y/n's eyes widen in shock, but eventually she puts her arms around el's small frame.

"friends sound great..." 

. . .

"do you hear that?" dustin speaks up.

"it sounds like-" max begins.

"giggling." lucas finishes. "has el finally lost the plot?"

"wouldn't be surprised." dustin shrugs.

"shh, shut up." max motions for the two boys to follow her.

max stalks towards the window with lucas and dustin sharp on her tail.

"i can't believe we haven't done this sooner."

it's unmistakably el's voice.

"i know! this is so fun!"

"holy shit." dustin whispers.

"is that-" max begins.

"it can't be-" lucas looks through the window followed by max and dustin.

"y/n." 

. . .

"where could she be?"

mike pulls at his hair as will tries to think where y/n could be.

"so, we've checked her house, the arcade, starcourt, we've checked-" will counts on his fingers.

"god damn it! we've checked everywhere!"

"no, you haven't." max, followed by dustin and lucas, approaches mike and will.

"what is that supposed to mean?" mike sighs.

"we know where she is," max places her hands on her hips. "and you won't believe it."

. . .

"there's no way." mike shakes his head in disbelief. "she's really hanging out with eleven... b-but she hates her."

"does it look like she hates el?" will crosses him arms, looking through el's bedroom window.

"well, i guess not-" mike rubs the back of his neck.

"why are we talking about the way y/n is looking at el, have you seen the el  looks at y/n." dustin exclaims.

"wait a second-" max tries to get a better look at the two girls. "do you think-"

"it is possible-" lucas shrugs.

"are you thinking what i'm thinking." max and lucas say in sync.

"holy shit, no." mike stands up and covers his face with his two pale hands. "el never liked me"

"el likes y/n."