Chapter 27 - Goodbye Doctor, Forever.

The Doctor's P.O.V.

My eyes flew open, as I shot up in bed. My breathing was ragged, as I tried to shake off the nightmare I had just had. It was one of the worse I had ever had. Even worse than the ones about the Time War.

No, this was about Madison. We were in large, Grey room. She was ignoring me and refusing to speak to me. I was on my knees begging her for forgiveness. Then she turned around and.... she was covered in blood. She collapsed into my arms and whispered 'I'm sorry', before closing her eyes and dying in my arms. I tried to cry and scream for Amy and Rory but the only noise was laughter.

River's laughter. River had shot Maddy. Now she was laughing and dragging Maddy away from me. They disappeared into the darkness and I left alone. Crying out for Maddy. But she never came back.

That's when I woke up. I moved to the side of the bed and placed my head in my hands. I had made right mess of me and Madison's relationship. But I needed to fix it today.

I dragged myself up from my bed and made my way to the door. I hadn't bothered to get changed last night. I had just fallen asleep. Being a Time Lord I didn't need to sleep as often as humans but it had been a long, hard day and I needed sleep. I trudged along the dark corridor, until I reached the TARDIS console steps.

Amy and Rory were sat on one of the seats, looking deep in conversation. I cleared my throat, causing them to turn and face me. They gave me both sad smiles, giving me the feeling something was wrong.

“Morning Ponds!” I said, putting on a fake smile.

“Afternoon, Doctor.” Amy replied, as her and Rory stood to face me.

“Afternoon? How long was I asleep for?” I asked, walking down the stairs.

“Well it's 2:34 Pm now and we went to bed around midnight! How long were you up with Madison?” Rory asked, looking at his watch.

“Not that long. Speaking of Maddy, have you seen her today?”

“That's what we need to speak to you about. What happened last night Doctor?” Amy asked, taking my hand and sitting me down on the seat with Rory.

“Nothing. We just talked.” I lied.

“Ok. Now we know that's a lie Doctor. Because we heard you shouting. So do you want to try that answer again? What happened last night?” Amy asked again, looking seriously at me.

“We fought, ok! We argued and shouted about everything! She told me she hated me but she wasn't sure if she still loved me! Then I left her in here because she wanted to be alone. And I haven't seen her since!” I explained, looking down at the floor.

“Oh, right. Thanks.” Amy mumbled.

“What for?”

“For telling us the truth for once! We've got something to give you Doctor.” She told me, nodding at Rory.

“What is it?” I asked, looking next to me at Rory.

“When we go down here this morning, we found this. It's for you.” Rory explained, pulling out some folded paper from his pocket.
“What's that?”

“A letter. From Maddy.” He replied, holding it out to me.

I reached out and grabbed the paper, before taking it over to the steps. I sat down and started to read the farewell note.

Dear Doctor.

If you're reading this, you must have found my note. Sorry I'm not there to give it to you in person, but I thought it would be best to leave before you all woke. I think if I had tried to leave with you there, I never would have left.