letting go » sokeefe

words: 701 ( including a/n )
author: grace
ship: sokeefe
prompt: lol prompt? nah.

a / n : * cough * i, uh, found myself writing another sokeefe one. this is actually for another oneshot book ( hope the other admins don't mind me giving a shout-out ) by sparklefanny410 where every oneshot features a song. anyways, i'll shut up now. enjoy !

inspired by Don't Hold Me by Dean Lewis

“ Have you ever wished you could rewind
Pick up all the pieces of the life you left behind
Have you ever lived on borrowing time
Knowing your mistakes are chasing you down from behind ”

Keefe flipped through his sketchbook, a freshly dipped quill gripped in his other hand.

Drawing always set his mind at ease, always allowed him to release emotions he didn't even know he'd bottled up––the perks of being an empath.

The quill danced across the page, almost unconsciously, creating an image Keefe's mind had captured and hadn't let go. Photographic memory did that to you.

First eyes, then a round nose, and the mouth, then the hair––

Sophie.

It was Sophie Foster.

“ But, don't hold me, 'cause I am falling back down
And I wouldn't wanna see you
Hit the ground ”

Keefe grimaced. Sophie had shown up, clumsy and innocent. She'd easily shown everyone how different she could be, and just as easily stole his heart.

His sketching became swifter, and he furiously drew her outfit, a white tunic wrapped in a baby blue vest, held together by a shining bronze brooch.

“ Little darling, you found my heart in the lost and found
But the scars they still follow me around ”

He drew her red boots, her black cloak, and the brown gloves that adorned her fragile hands.

Keefe's hand froze when he went to draw his own hand within Sophie's. 

This memory was so precious to him, yet so painful. He knew it was a source of still lingering hope for himself, but nothing more than a friend assuring another friend to the one that had held his heart.

Why was it so easy to just––sweep some girl off their feet at Foxfire, a girl that wasn't even his age without even trying

Why did Sophie have to come in and take his heart? Is this what he did to others?

And he knew he could get her to see that, get her to understand how often he thought about her, how often he longed to be holding her hand. 

But he couldn't. It felt like...betrayal. 

Sophie had done nothing but try to help him with his family issues and dark thoughts, and he wanted to return the favor with everything she deserved.

The problem was, he couldn't.

“ But, don't hold me, 'cause I am falling back down
And I wouldn't wanna see you
Hit the ground
But little darling you found my heart in the lost and found
But the scars they still follow me around ”

The last thing Keefe wanted to do was hurt her. 

Because when you love someone, you want the best for them.

And yet, his heart ached at the very thought of her name, and the drawing in front of him seemed to taunt him.

He'd never felt like this before. He wanted the feeling to go away, to leave him alone. But at the same time, he wanted to catch it in a jar and never let it go, because if he didn't, that would mean letting go of Sophie.

Keefe wasn't ready for that.

“ And the dark surrounds your heart and you're in free fall
Oh you must let go of me
'Cause if you keep me you will lose it all
So darling don't please, please
Don't hold me 'cause I am falling back down
And I wouldn't wanna see you hit the ground ”

He refused to pull Sophie down with him, to show her what it was like to live in the shadow of a murderer.

He'd have to let go, to ignore that feeling, if he wanted her to be happy.

The thought of it brought a whole new definition of hurt, but also a pleasant, calm feeling. 

He'd let her go.

Because when you love someone, that's what you're willing to do.