Visit

Chapter 73:

I fell asleep waiting for my mother to come and visit.

Around 1:30 in the morning, I felt someone's hand on my head, stroking my hair. I shot my eyes open to see my mom.

I moved my head away from her hand, and she pulled her hand away quickly. I'm guessing she was unaware of my awakening until then.

"Hey, Kamille." Her voice was scratchy. I hadn't heard it in months, but now that I did hear it, it sounded like an angel's song gone haywire.

I turned my head the opposite direction, not wanting to hear or see her. I had had it with her.

She would ignore me, not even say a word to me for months. Now, all of a sudden, she just starts talking to me again? I don't think so.

"Kamille, I'm so sorry." she added quietly. I could feel her sadness in the air, and I could hear her breathing change. She was crying.

"I'm sorry for ignoring all this time. I just knew you would never forgive me for what I did. I had no right to hurt you like that. I'm sorry for taking so many shifts at work. I only do that for you..." she paused and sniffled.

I turned towards her. Guilt and sorrow built up inside of me. I couldn't stay mad at my mother; she was just scared and confused, like me. She may be an adult, but that doesn't make her have to be the strongest, most flawless person ever. She has her rips and tears just like I do.

"Mom, I'm sorry too. You were... you were vulnerable. I shouldn't have treated you the way I did. I am still a little bit upset about you dating other people, but I'll just have to deal with it." I looked at her in the eyes, and she pulled me into a hug. I hugged her back, and a few tears got caught on my eyelashes. I could feel her tears on my shoulder, and that calmed me.

"I promise, I will take better care of you. And I want to apologize for calling you stupid. Because you aren't. You are smart, and beautiful, and the best daughter a mother could ever ask for." My mother's words made me cry even more, but it was a happy cry.

I spoke this time, pulling away from the hug. "Stupid is as stupid does."

My ribs began to ache as we hugged again, but I didn't care. I pushed the pain to the back of my mind.

We sat there, hugging and crying, for several minutes. After what felt like hours, we finally pulled away from the hug. I smiled at my mother and wiped the years from my eyes.

She stood up from her seat and kissed my forehead before whispering, "I'll see you tomorrow. You need to get some rest. I love you."

"I love you, too, Mom." She smiled before leaving the room.

I tried to go back to sleep, but it was hard. My mind was racing.

'Things are getting better. Things will be better. Everything will be okay. It will be okay.' I thought to myself, closing my eyes and finally falling asleep.