2: The Kids

I walked out of Town Hall, shutting the door behind me. I turned around and spotted Pinky talking to Sportacus. I took a deep breath and walked towards them. Pinky looked over at me and a huge grin spread across her face.

"Hi, you must be Sara Rotten, I'm Stephanie!" She said, energetically.

"That's right, I'm Sara." I replied. "Hello, again Sportacus."

"Hello, Master Sergeant Sara Rotten." Sportacus replied with a slight blush.

"Oh right uh, just call me Sara, please. Um, the mayor said you want to show me around, Stephanie."

She nodded and turned back to Sportacus. He smiled and knelt down. She whispered something in his ear. He chuckled, stood up and looked at me.

"She asked me if I can join you two." He said.

"Sure, if you want to." I replied with a shrug.

Stephanie smiled and grabbed our hands. She dragged us away from Town Hall. I mumbled as she gripped my hand tightly. She stopped suddenly causing me to stomp on my prosthetic. I grunted in pain and staggered to the left. I almost crashed into Sportacus. He caught my shoulders and helped me get my balance.

I groaned and sat on one of the walls. Stephanie frowned and walked up to me. She had a very concerned look on her face. I smiled at her and rubbed my leg just above my prosthetic.

"Sorry, guys I had to stop for a second there." I said still rubbing my leg. "I'm good now."

I stood up and faked a grin. Sportacus frowned and shook his head. Stephanie smiled slightly, then she turned and looked at the house we stopped at. She walked up to it and pulled a key out of her messenger bag. She unlocked the door and lead us inside.

"This is your new house, Sara." Stephanie explained. "It has everything you sent ahead already set up."

"Even my workout and therapy equipment?" I asked in surprise. "Man, talk about great neighbors."

"Yup, everything is to your specifications. Oh, there is a T.V. in the living room. I don't know who installed it."

"That's okay, my big brother is probably the one who did that. He'll be over here a lot I'm sure."

Stephanie nodded and looked around. She walked farther inside and gasped lightly. She picked up a picture of my old squad and I. She looked it over and turned back to me.

"You really were in the military!" She exclaimed handing me the picture. "Are these guys your friends?"

"Yes they were, but most of those guys aren't around anymore." I replied sadly as I looked the picture over. "Here put this on my bedside table please."

She nodded, grabbed the picture and ran into my room. Sportacus shifted his stance nervously. I looked at him and frowned. He looked at me and forced a smile.

"What is it?" I asked. "You seem bothered."

"Oh, it's just... uh, I knew some of the people in that picture." He explained. " And I wanted to ask you... Oh, Stephanie."

I looked over my shoulder and saw the kid standing behind me. I frowned and looked back at Sportacus. He shuffled his feet and looked around the room. Then he looked at Stephanie.

"Well, you can explore your house later!" Stephanie said, energetically. "I want to show you the town."

"Uh, has anything changed in the past few years?" I asked.

"A few things have. The library has been moved, the Town Hall was obviously moved. I think the town has gotten a lot bigger too."

I smiled as she walked out the door. Sportacus chuckled as we followed her. She was pretty stubborn. I suppose I can let her lead me around, for now.