3: Setteling In

It's been about a week since I came back to Lazy Town. Nothing really changed. Except the kids playing outside of course. It was quite refreshing to see kids outside. When I was growing up kids hardly went outside.

I sighed and pulled my prosthetic on. I groaned as I went over the adjustments needed to be able to use it with no assistance. But just in case I'm gonna bring my crutch along. I carefully stood up and walked over to my closet. I snatched up a plain green shirt, black jeans, and my old combat boots. After that, I jumped into the shower and got dressed.

I walked downstairs and headed for the kitchen. I opened the fridge and pulled out the milk, then I walked over to the battery acid machine and poured a nice sized cup for myself. 

I took a deep breath of the drinks bitter fumes. I let out a heavy sigh and walked out onto my porch. Almost instantly Stephanie spotted me and ran over. She stopped just short of crashing into me.

"Hi Sara, what are you drinking?" She asked.

"Hmm, oh battery acid." I replied.

"But battery acid is really bad for you! Why are you drinking it?"

"No no, that's what my old platoon buddies and I called Coffee in the Army. Guess I gotta watch what I say 'round you kids."

I took a sip of my drink and scowled. It was waaayyyy too bitter. I turned and walked back inside, with Stephanie behind me. She gasped as she walked around. I looked back at her as I doctored my battery... Uh, coffee.

"Wow, you did a great job hanging your pictures up, Sara!" She exclaimed.

"Yeah, and see that over there?" I asked pointing to my mantel. "That's for all my buddies that didn't make it home."

"That's a lot of pictures. Why are there so many?"

"Because... Well, because things that you can't control happen. And that's something you'll learn one day."

Stephanie nodded as she stared at me. I smiled tightly and finished off my battery acid. I placed my cup in the sink and walked back outside. Stephanie followed right behind.

"So, do you want to play basketball?" She asked. "I can understand if you don't want to."

"No, I haven't played in a while." I replied. "I'd love to play."

Stephanie jumped up and down excitedly. I chuckled and started walking towards the park, Stephanie followed me. We arrived at the park a few minutes later.

Stephanie ran over to the ball box. She pulled out a basketball. A huge grin spread across her face when I walked onto the court. I grinned back and rubbed my hands together.

"Now, just because I have a fake leg and haven't played in a while, doesn't mean you should go easy on me." I said bouncing in place.

"I don't plan to Sara." Stephanie said energetically.

*Half an Hour Later*

"Wow, you won, Sara!" Stephanie exclaimed.

"Yeah by one point!" I replied. "You are a great basketball player, Stephanie!"

She grinned and jogged over to the ball bin. She put the basketball away and turned back to me. A thoughtful look crossed her face. I cocked my head and shot my eyebrows up.

"What's up kiddo?" I asked.

"Did you play basketball with kids while you were away?" She asked.

My breath hitched as memories flashed across my mind. Tears filled my eyes as some children's faces showed up. One, in particular, hit hard. I took a deep breath and shook my head.