ch {3}

Alex's POV

Today was the day, it was the morning of The Christmas Ball. I was currently laying in my bed, the rising sun was shining through my window. My eyes were locked on the thing staring at me from across the room. My suit and crown, the two things I almost never wore. We almost always had a ball to attend, but I never had a want or need to go. So I rarely ever went, which is why this is a little more nerve-wracking then it should be.

"Dear Goddess, please let me make it through today." I whisper towards my ceiling, taking a deep breath, I get out of my bed. I pick up my phone and dial my mother's number, she had asked that I call her the morning of the ball. I'm not sure why, but I figured why not do it while I get ready. I put her on speaker phone while it rings.

"Well good morning, Alex." I hear my mother greet me.

"Good morning, Mama." I saw while I head to the bathroom to brush my teeth and do my hair.

"Are you getting ready for everything?" She asks, my hair is a mess so I started with that. I start combing through my hair and styling it.

"Yeah, I just woke up so I figured I'd call you before everything got busy." I say, trying to get my hair to look right. I always had a hard time figuring out how to style it and most time my mom had to help. I put my phone on speaker and place it on the counter so I can still talk to my mom.

"Thank you for that, I wanted to call you to make sure you were doing okay and weren't freaking out over all of it." My mother sighs over the phone.

"OH, I'm already freaking out and I haven't been awake for 10 minutes. Mama, I can't get my hair to look right." I groan as I continue to mess with my hair.

"Stop touching it!"

"You can't see me, how did you-?" my hands immediately drop to my sides.

"You're my son, I know you too well." I could hear the smirk in her voice, she always knew.

"I need it to look right, Mom, I can't go to the ball as the Prince and have messed up hair." I whine like a child. "The Elders were saying I might meet my mate, something about the stars lining up or some bullshit, if I do meet my mate, I can't look like this."

"Honey, I've told many times what to do. Brush it once, shake your head, little bit of gel on your hands, rub it together, and run your fingers through your hair." She lists off to me, I follow all of her steps and somehow it doesn't look half bad.

"Thank you, Mama." I smile, grabbing my toothbrush. I start to brush my teeth as my mother says something to what I assume is my father. As I'm about to spit, I hear my father take the phone.

"How are you feeling, son?" my father's strong voice says through the phone as soon as I spit. "Did you just spit at me?"

"No, Dad, I was brushing my teeth." I laugh, walking out of the bathroom with my phone in my hand. I begin to strip from my basketball shorts, to my freshly-pressed suit.